Double Glazing - Handle broken and window does not close

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I need some help and advice. In my flat I have two main windows in my living room. These windows are double glazed and are the type that open two different ways (from the handle closed pointing down, (1) turning 90 degrees hinges them from the bottom and (2) closing and turning a further 90 degrees pointing the handle up makes them hinge from the side like a normal window.). When you closed the windows, the handles never fully turned vertical pointing down, but close enough.

My problem is the other night I was closing the window and heard a crack and the handle went fully vertical. Now, the window is permanently stuck in position (1) hinging from the bottom. Turning the handle 90 degrees does nothing and feels limp and it cannot be pushed any further, even if i push the window closed and try to move it up. Does anyone have any ideas what could've happened and how this can be fixed? I have read that it could be a spring in the handle. The handle unscrews from the back. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back