Understairs covering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have just installed a staircase to the attic. with 2 winders top & bottom. I now need to cover the under side.
Boxing in the winders is not possible at the bttom due to building regs minimum height. and plaster boarding not possible due to the degree of twist on the winders
is there a covering about that would overcome this?
I have thought about fibreglass strips smoothing down and painting but would welcome any ideas
tia

Sponsored Links
I can't quite picture the minimum hieght boxing in problem is this over the flight coming up from ground to first floor? - as Masona said, a photo would help.

Would bendy MDF work as a soffit to the winders?

Sponsored Links
The only way I can see it done by keeping to the minimum headroom is to use plaster metal expanding sheet and plaster. This is the job for the plaster who can make a nice curve shape.

Thanks masona for time and effort. Ive done a serch on the net for plaster metal expanding sheet but with no luck is there a trade name or a good plaster site to check out this item

They're are called "Expanding Metal Lath," Builder Merchant should sell them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back