Roofing techniques question

think I need to read up on my legal obligations as regards offering the builder the opportunity to fix (or subcontract to fix) it, before I take that route because I havent actually had it in writing that it's OK to cut him out of the loop. I'd want to come across as as reasonable as possible if it came to court.

i understand your sentiments, but this guy is incapable of completing the roof to an acceptable standard.............that has already been proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

Sponsored Links
alastair (and any other competent roofers here) could you give me an idea of what you (or someone like you) would charge to fix this job? Just a ballpark to the nearest 250 quid would be fine. Cheers.

What exactly has to be done cjard?.

has the whole roof to come back off?

so at the very least you would be talking leadwork to chimneyhead, sorting out the eave and verge tiles, bedding the ridge tiles properly,installing concealed gutter between roofs back and front, renew that little flat roof and renew the gutters............have i missed anything ?.

of course you would have to get another scaffold erected.

I'm struggling to work out how the following list could be fixed without stripping most of the roof:

Install a gutter between the two roofs
Correct the eaves overhangs so they line up with next door/clear the building by 50mm
Correct the shallow roof verge overhang next to the bay, installing any necessary flashings
Extend the eaves felt by the proper amount
Remove the batten trapping the eaves felt near the cast iron gutter
Alter the tile spacing so that the headlap is correct all the way up to the ridge
Mechanically fix perimeter tiles
Fit a new flashing to the chimney that suits the type of tiles installed
Install a ventilated dry ridge and ensure the eaves are well ventilated or install gable-end vents and install the ridge tiles properly
Replace the two tiles that have had the bottom weatherbars ground off to blend the differing roof pitches
Install an abutment gutter along the short section of wall next to the bay, where the steep roof meets the wall below the shallow roof
Correct the near non-existent stagger of tiles along the course where the roof changes pitch
Install a lead flashing where the roof changes pitch
Bring the verges up to modern standards (building regs requirement) and fix as per redland spec ("Each tile once nailed and clipped") for the wind zone
Install a tilt fillet to kick up the bottom course of tiles all round the property
Neaten the join between the two roofs so it's not wavering all over the place, and so it looks like every other property in the area that has had similar works

Additional works caused by damage during building:
Remove all rubble (torchings that fell off when the tiles were removed) from the loft space
Repair the hole in the lounge ceiling caused by dropping a brick down the chimney when the pots were swapped
Repair the cracking in bathroom ceiling that follows the plasterboard joins, caused by flexing of the roof as it was walked on
Remove the residual rubble from the flat roof and the garden
Replace the broken fence panel caused by the scaffolding contractor
Repair the ripped section of felt
Replace the broken-and-repaired-with-silicone tile next to the chimney

Additional works that should have been notified and factored in before or during building:
Renewal of all relevant guttering to the rear
Renewal of the flat roof above the bay so it falls away from the house, and flashing laps up and under the new roof
Insulate the loft up to 250mm regulations standards

Understandably I cannot ask the builder to do (for free) or pay (another contractor) for any work in this last section as it wasn't quoted for.
-

Existing contractor has sorted out the chimney pointing and the vented cap..

As to the rest of it; you know the job; you've been among the most helpful all through so I'm sure you'd have an idea of whether I've missed anything. I also understand that any advice you give is not a quote or offer to undertake the work (though I've looked at your recent gallery adds, and I daresay you do a neat job - if you wanted the work and would travel to Lancashire I'm sure we could sort out somewhere for you and your team to live for free during any works.)

Sponsored Links
I have relations in lancashire cjard...............whats your timescale?.

Not fussed. I'd rather the job be done right in a week by a competent person in summer, than be a constant battle with dimwits and nuggets in and out of court for the duration of 2009..

I've been following this post with some interest and think I might be able to offer some worthwhile suggestions to help with finding a reputable roofing contractor in the area. These are companies I would be happy to have working on my own house.

Andrew Broster Roofing - Slyne, Lancaster
Pears Roofing - Poulton, nr. Blackpool
Monarch Roofing - Sale nr. Manchester
Fairclough Roofing - Blackpool

Hope that this lists helps.

you trying to do me out of a job cloakedverger?.

just kidding :LOL: Over to you cjard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back