Hotpoint Aquarius WD22 - is it dead?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought the machine second hand (reconditioned) 2 years ago. The carbon brushes were replaced last year. This year the kitchen was rewired, the WM put on RCD and it trips out during its final spin. I have been arguing with electricians over whose fault it is - their wiring or the washing machine but no luck.

I have been using it on 40 bar as it trips less frequently. A few weeks ago I discovered it would not wash above 40: it just whines quietly. Today it tripped mid-wash (never happened before) and would not start at any other point of the cycle, repeatedly tripping RCD.

What is the likely cause? Can I fix it (willing but inexperienced)? How much would it cost? Do I just bin it?

Have 4 children, lots of washing, need to make decision quickly! Thanks

Sponsored Links
I should say its the motor. I should guess that who ever changed the motor brushes did not use genuine hp brushes and that the motor is full of carbon dust (that happens with non laminated brushes)

you have 3 choices

scrap m/c
get new motor
clean motor

Thanks for that. They were not HP brushes. How difficult is it to clean the motor?

not too bad. but it may already be too late :cry:
thin/fine emery cloth to clean the comm (take brushes out to do this)
then poke vacuumm cleaner at it.

but UNPLUG m/c FIRST

Sponsored Links
Just to say, thank you for your advice. I will have a go, get a quote for new motor, and probably end up buying a new one anyway but at least I know what's going on.

i would try cleaning it first, but you will know for next time, only get genuine hp parts

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back