Wash Hand Basin Trap Being Pulled ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Reference the attached set up when the WC is flushed a noise comes from the wash hand basin - could this be the trap being pulled ?

When the plumber installed the pipe work he did not fit a vented stack.

The bottle trap below the wash hand basin is one of these decorative chrome bottle traps and is thus not vented / fitted with an anti syphon fitting.

Would an air admittance vent fitted at the top of the WC connector solve this problem ?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
AAV should be on the left of your drawing before the sink ideally. an AAV should also be the highest point too, there is a version that can be used below that level but not sure if it would do much in this instance.

Is it the noise that annoys you or is it actually pulling the trap letting a smell up?

Hi GPlumb

There does not seem to be a smell at this stage, just the strange noise ?

Is it worth trying an in line AAV in the pipe work running from the bottle trap ?

Cheers

Not sure what you mean with inline with?

Can you remove the bit inside the bottle trap that makes it a trap? Its called the dip tube. Then it would no longer function as a trap.

You could then fit a HEPvO valve under the floor on a horizontal.

http://www.plumbingpages.com/image/features/SHepvo_002.gif

that would stop the noise. If there is no smell then i would inclined to leave it, or you could try fitting an aav where you originally said and see what happens.

Sponsored Links
Hi GPlumb

I understand what you mean about removing the dip tube and fitting a HepVo, the problem I have is that the floor is solid concrete.

As regards the AAV do you mean fitting the one right at the top of the WC connector ?

Hi GPlumb

I understand what you mean about removing the dip tube and fitting a HepVo, the problem I have is that the floor is solid concrete.

As regards the AAV do you mean fitting the one right at the top of the WC connector ?

Yes u could try a aav on the soil pipe next to WC. It may help. Is there a T on the vent pipe to make it easy to fit one or do you need to cut in a Branch?

Hi GPlumb

Yes u could try a aav on the soil pipe next to WC. It may help. Is there a T on the vent/soil pipe to make it easy to fit one or do you need to cut in a Branch?

mcalpine make a wc connector with an 1 1/4" boss, so I was planning to try one of these along with an aav.

In your opinion what's the chances of it working ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back