What is the back bit of a fireplace called?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As above please.

What is the concrete back piece called in a traditional fireplace? I need to replace mine as it is cracked.

Thanks.

:?:

Sponsored Links
dan - they're normally made from fireclay (a refractory material) not concrete; concrete tends to splatter (explode) when subjected to DIRECT heat. Just the same as you can get firebricks - ordinary bricks will splatter.

fireback.
ceramic-fireback.jpg

Sponsored Links
My old man used to call them "Chairs". he used to sweep chimney's on the quiet. Odd I should remember that........ Noseall's post gave me a physco-prod. :)

Thanks Woody. ;)

It is indeed the 'fireback' I am trying to describe. Do they come in different sizes?

Also I may need to change the lintel and a few bricks for cosmetic purposes. Bricks have to be fire-bricks? And the lintel? I've been searching the net and I've seen and steel 90 degree angle lintel. Is this the one to use??

dan - firebricks are only used if subjected to DIRECT heat/naked fire, say a hearth or forge lining. You don't need them to repair chimney breasts. Take photos of the old fireback before you smash it so you can then easily ID a new one. Loads of websites that do replacement stuff.

Dan- There are different sizes of fireback. You could buy the throat lintel from the same place to match it. The firebacks usually come in 2 pieces. If they are in one piece they should have a score mark where you need to cut it. This is because the bottom will be hotter than the top and expands at a different rate.
The most common cause of the fireback cracking is the brick rubble infill at the back settling over a period of time and expanding when hot and putting pressure on the fireback.
Alternatively you could build a fireback from fire bricks bedded with fire clay.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back