strange door coating...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just tring to strip a door which has a strange type of coating on it.

It is like a mixture of paint and wax. Certain areas are quite hard, and removed with a heatgun. Other areas 'feel' wet, and can be scrapped off easily. However, these areas behave as if the wood is damp when sanding, and results in a 'furry' finish.

Any ideas what is in the wood, and how to clean it? I'm planning to apply a light stain and wax the door.

Sponsored Links
I had a very similar problem on a whole bunch of Victorian doors I had and the only way I found was to get it srtipped professionally. These I have lightly sanded and waxed and they look stunning. Sorry I cannot be of more help

how old do you think the coating is?

Does it look like paint or like varnish?

Does it smell like it could be oiled timber?

Could it be that you are stripping knotty softwood, and the heatgun is making the resin come out under your paint as you are stripping it?

Sponsored Links
Ok, here's a picture which may help.

View media item 6893
As you can see the horizontal piece is one of the bits in question, whereas the vertical piece is OK (this is repeated in various sections of the door)

The coating was at least 5 yrs old (before we moved in) with no noticeable smell

If the timber was oiled before, surely it would have been the same all over?

might it be that condensation has formed and soaked into the horizontal piece?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back