Power supply for stereo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need a power supply for my stereo system.

There is a convenient fused spur, (at least I think that's what it is: on/off switch, 3A fuse, red light, as used for appliances???). This is not in use, and actually doesn't appear to have any power (the light doesn't come on, and yes, I've tried changing the fuse!!!). So: 1)how do I find out if it's got power; 2)how do I switch it back on if it's off; 3)would it be suitable to act as a supply for a multiple socket serving an 8/9 piece hi-fi set-up???

Alternatively, there is also a convenient double socket from which I could just run an extension lead (obviously a suitable, fused one), but as I need 8 or 9 outlets, will this be OK?

Sorry for the long question, hope you can help, thanks in advance, all praise to DIYNOT...

Sponsored Links
i would suggest you get a short extension lead and 3, 4way "adaptors"

Running adaptors from the existing sockets would be the safest bet...

The way to determine if there is power to the FCU is to remove it from the wall, and test the supplying cable for live (preferably with a multimeter, but despite the flames I will now receive, a mains-tester screwdriver will give a reasonable indication).

Presuming you find that it is live, you then need to determine which circuit it is powered by. This is accomplished through isolating circuits at the CU/fusebox and seeing when the supply cable goes dead.

If it is powered by a ring (in which case it will go dead when all your sockets do) you are in business. If it turns out to be on your lighting circuit then forget about the FCU. You must not power your hi-fi from your lighting circuit, you will end up with the fuse/MCB blowing/tripping just as you reach the best bit of your favourite song.

If you decide to use this FCU, it would be best to replace it with a plug socket (single, double, even triple) rather than to wire your extension directly in. Triples are good because they MUST have an integral 13A fuse in them. Then plug your adaptor in to the socket.

You can get 8-way adaptors, but check carefully how much current you are going to draw. A typical separates system won't draw 13A even if you try, but if you have something mental, e.g. a separate power amp for each channel, or even a valve-state amp, then you could find yourself in excess of this. But if you had all that, you could probably afford your own substation from the grid let alone worrying about an FCU.

Don't fall for the gold-plated super-duper plug sockets, or you will receive verbal slappage from many members of the board ;)

OK gents, thanks for your help. My laziness/ inexperience is winning out over my desire to do things 'properly', and I'll probably just run an 8-way extension from the mains socket. I'm not powering anything heavy, just turntables(s), mixer, amp, tuner, CD, MD, lamp, so I'm sure it'll be fine.
I'll let you know if it all goes pop :eek:.

Sponsored Links
having boxed up equipment for a friend before (IEC input on each box for power multicore (with round locking connectors) between the two boxes for audio) i have found that the power drain of everything except amplifiers is negligable

check the rating plate on your amplifier though if its a big one it could be approaching or even exceding 3KW

i was just thinking, you should have 2 4 way "trailing sockests " sitting side by side, why, becasue if you have one it will be mono, but to have 2 could be stereo

breezer said:
to have 2 could be stereo

Does that mean if one daisychain's them one gets surround sound?

TIP: mount the trailing sockets as low to the ground as possible for improved bass (well, they'll be lower ;) )

plugwash said:
check the rating plate on your amplifier though if its a big one it could be approaching or even exceding 3KW

And it could be rather quite loud too, so counteract the risk of ear-damage by wearing ear-defenders when practicing at 2am on a Tuesday night, and putting your speakers in the garden if possible.

I dunno, you ask a serious question, and all the comedians come out of the woodwork. :rolleyes:
Nice point though, and four x double adaptors will provide an excellent quadrophonic system for a couple of quid. ;)

If wiring several separates together from mains it would be good advice and extra security to use anti-surge extension blocks. I have two supplying my system and they are equipped with an accurate LED readout that shows in stages, Power consumption in Wattage up to 3,000 Watts.

This way you can check how much power consumption is being drawn from your Amp etc as you add it. It may sound a little overprotective, but for the extra £20 per extension block it is certainly worth it. I have a Yamaha amp with 6 built in amplifiers for each channel and at a cost of £1,000 I would rather pay the extra for a good Mains Extension Block.

Most hi-fi equipment uses quite a low power consumption. If you have the manual that came with your equipment it will give the specifications, including the power consumption. If you do not have the manual then try your local hi-fi dealer such as Sevenoakes Hi-fi. They are well versed in this field, or better still contact the manufacturers or check out their website.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back