Street stop cock cover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I noticed a while ago that the stop cock on the rising main in my house won't turn off all the way - not an immediate problem (all the taps have isolating valves, so only will be a problem if the pipework before them springs a leak), but one I thought I should fix at some point, so I finally got round to trying to do it this weekend.

I located the stop cock in the street, fortunately there is one per house on my road, so I don't need to talk to my neighbours etc first. Unfortunately however, a piece of the cover is cracked and loose, and I can't seem to get the rest that's still attached to open, it lifts about an inch and then stops. While I could probably get it open by applying more force with a suitable lever or whatever, I decided to stop for the moment, as given one bit is already broken, I didn't want to crack any more of it!

The cracked cover concerns me as it's on the pavement outside my driveway, so I'm worried about car tyres on the sharp edges - does anybody know if the water supplier (Cambridge Water) will come out and replace it, and if so are they likely to charge me?

Sponsored Links
Mine didn't have a cover at all, just a stone slab in danger of being covered with tarmac. Reported it to United Utilities and they fitted one within days.(no charge). It's probablely only dirt thats stopping it around the hinge, I'd put the water hose on it and continue to wriggle up and down.

Sounds like a good idea - the trouble is one of the things I need to turn the water off for is to fit an outside tap for use with a hose, so a bit of a catch 22!

I'll give the water company a ring tomorrow and see what they say...

Sponsored Links
If its already broke, and could cause a hazard then take a hammer to it o make it safe. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back