House empty for a while - draining down

G

Goldspoon

Have been asked to "drain" a house whilst its unocupied for many months (is a reposession). Have no idea as yet what's in there but any tips aside from the obvious "drain any storage tanks/cylinders and central heating primary circuit and switch off at stopcock and run taps until empty".

Sponsored Links
Add salt to any water traps in the property to stop them freezing. Don't just leave one note, leave several notes.

Most importantly tape the toilet seat down or some dirty b*****d will pee in it even though there is no water on. Several month old pee is not a pleasant smell.

Mike

Sponsored Links
we used to have 5" x 5" stickers made up saying "THE WATER SYSTEM/BOILER IS DRAINED DO NOT SWITCH ON UNTIL WATER HAS BEEN REINSTATED" and stuck them over the heating spur (after removing the fuse) so nobody could re-energise the system and say "I didn't know the system was empty"

Shutting the main stop cock won't stop water in the pipe just before that from freezing, so you might want to consider shutting off the at the water company's service valve.

Also, I don't see how you're going to get all of the water out of all of the pipes, so you need to make it clear to your client that you won't be liable for any damage resulting from hidden pipe runs that can't be drained.

as long as most of the pipework is empty you shouldn't get frost damage, any low points that freeze will expand along the pipe that is empty so it won't cause any bursts, only prob will be if you try to refill system that has frozen water in it as it will need to defrost to allow complete filling

any low points that freeze will expand along the pipe that is empty so it won't cause any bursts
If the pipe is full, i.e. has water over its entire cross section, then the water is capable of expanding and splitting the pipe.

Shutting the main stop cock won't stop water in the pipe just before that from freezing, so you might want to consider shutting off the at the water company's service valve.

Also, I don't see how you're going to get all of the water out of all of the pipes, so you need to make it clear to your client that you won't be liable for any damage resulting from hidden pipe runs that can't be drained.

Thanks Softus. Will bear this in mind when speaking to client.

Agents who have spoken to me about this have wanted all the radiators drained and the cold water supply disconnected and capped off.

Partly to avoid leakage and party to discourage intruders.

Tony

Thanks all. Will be popping in to estate agents so will ask exactly what is required. At least, following all your help, I feel ready to venture into the fray (with pen and paper at the ready Softus ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back