please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I've just got a new house that needs quite alot of work doing. I've just been thinking of ideas to make good my front garden. It is used for parking and is currently sludge and grass and I was thinking about block paving but would need to move the cars and caravan for however long it took and would have nowhere to put them.
I once saw this lovely path that looked like red sand stone but I was told that it was just concrete that had been stamped with something. The idea seems much more practical and cheaper but I've got no idea where I could find one of these concrete stamps from or what they're called. If anybody could help I'd very much appreciate thank you. :D

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
would concrete not take longer than block paving?

you would need to dig out footings, pour concrete wait a week for it to set

bock paving, level ground, layer of level sand, lay paviers, drve on

I was just thinking that with concrete we could do it in sections which would mean not having to take of all the vehicles. I thought that with block paving it we'd have to do it all in one go. Am I wrong? I've not done this before. Does it show? :oops:

Yes it does show :D ... but major kudos for looking before leaping. These boards are full of people who wished they'd done the same. Look at the discussions on Paving expert.... result...Stay away from PIC.

would concrete not take longer than block paving?

you would need to dig out footings, pour concrete wait a week for it to set

bock paving, level ground, layer of level sand, lay paviers, drve on

and it will sink with no sub-base.

the imprinted concrete is done by specailised firms who colour the concrete etc. They normally put admixtures in it so it cures quickly. From the ones i have seen though, thye dont seem to get the control joints in them right and they forever seem to have cracks in them.

Depends on the size of the driveway, but a good block pavior company will turn a typical domestic driveway around in a very short time.

dig down to 6 inches below where you want the finished drive level to be then smack the soil down with the heaviest thing you have available to you (apart from the wife) then lay weed suppressant membrane down for the winter.

weigh it down with at least 2 inches depth of granular sub base aka m.o.t. aka small grey stones.

let this sit til spring when you can cover it with a drive of your choice.

Certainly not my expertise, But no one has mentioned the legality of fully covering over the front garden for parking, Something to do with drainage & flooding.
Better check with local planning.
JonB :)

Thats one I didn't think of thanks jon. Alot of houses on the road do have fully paved or concreted fronts though so I didn't think that would be an issue. I will check though. Thank you to every one for your replies :D

you will need at least 6 inches of sub-base, as a minimum dependent on the soil.

The issue of planning for drives came into force in october. Its notr a great problem, if its not a porus druiveway or over a certain size then you need to ensure there is some form of drainage in place to prevent the surface water reaching the highway. This can be done witrh drainage channels and a soakaway. Have a look at the paving expert site for some more advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back