extractor fans and building regs

Is that really correct :eek: ? If so, that’s a complete revelation to me! So where exactly does one get hold of copies of the definitive "Building Regulations" & what's the point of having "Approved Documents" if they don't reflect the regulations! :confused:

Yup. Chappers is correct. All Approved Docs have the following script in "Use of Guidance";

IIRC these are the Building Regulations.

FWIW I say the OP does need an extractor under "material change of use" ;)

Sponsored Links
Hotrod/chappers; well thanks for that guys, it’s been a real revelation to me & I’m at a loss for words. I’ve always worked to the Approved Documents believing they were “The Bible”! Looking at the links you gave, am I right in saying the BR’s are actually statutory acts of law! They date from 1984 & 2000 &, as we all know from the Approved Documents, things seem to have changed dramatically since 2000 let alone 1984!

I will make a point of looking through them when I get bored with sticking pins in my eyes but they are comparatively old & I’m confused as to how the “Approved Documents”, which have changed dramatically since around 2000, can reflect what was considered to be good practice 8 or more years ago, are they also updated? Are they radically different from the "Approved Documnets"?

Are the “Approved Documents” merely someone’s new slant/reinterpretation of the original regulation? A bit like updating the definition of a wheel by just including the various types & construction of wheel you can get; if you get my drift! This begs the question that if the Approved Documents have just expanded/stretched the original definition of “the wheel”, are they actually worth the paper they are printed on? Presumably, when things get really difficult it’s the statutory documents that take precedence!

Sponsored Links
There are loads of ammendments/ appendices to the 1984 and 200 acts.
the approved documents are "approved" as they are a garaunteed acceptable method of compliance but as stated within the documents are not necessarilly the only way to comply. if you can meet the methods laid out then this is the easiest way to comply some things contained within the regs are flexible others are a bit more cast in stone for instances most distances contained within the approved documents are the minimu that will be acceptable eg something like stair spindle spacing you wouldn't be able to have a gap greater than 100mm and still comply with the relevant regs.
With regards to fire escapes etc The reg states

"Means of warning and escape
B1. The building shall be designed and constructed so that there are appropriate provisions for the early warning of fire, and appropriate means of escape in case of fire from the building to a place of safety outside the building capable of being safely and effectively used at all material times."

The approved documents for dwellings talks about providing a fire safe exit route by providing a suitable fire resistant compartment to the final escape exit, however an acceptable alternative would be to fit a sprinkler system to the escape route.
So the basic essence is that some parts of the approved documents are the only methods currently acceptable whereas some parts are just one example.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back