LEAKING IDEAL ICOS HE24 BOILER

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I Had a insurance Home Emergency call out person out 2 hours ago due to my boiler leaking. His diagnosis was that I need a new heat exchanger or boiler but his office would get back to me with a price. The company only gives £500 labour and £100 parts insurance so I want to check if what they are telling me is right. Basically I can see there is a leak in the seal between the heat exchanger and the sump. Does this warrant a new heat enchanger or boiler. Advice please as its close to xmas. Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Call out Ideal for a fixed price £220 repair.

Ask your insurance company to pay for this as it will save them money.

This is becoming such a 'popular' fault with these that it is no longer a joke :rolleyes:

If it is dribbling from the orange mastic seal and is clear water it is most probably condensate that is leaking.

Ideal should be named and shamed on the likes of watchdog IMHO as Potterton were with the Suprima pcb issue :mad:

Many Thanks for that Dave

I shall give Ideal a call. I'll let everyone know how I get on. :)

the heat exchanger and sump come as one unit, you can't get them separately so i'm afraid a new heat exchanger is the order of the day

Sponsored Links
Check it is actually the heat exchanger leaking as they can leak from the rectangular gasket between the top of the hex and the alloy flue,had one today.
It can look like the hex is leaking,as it runs down front/side of the hex and gathers in the bottom tray of boiler.

probably be the aav or the seal on the bottom o the turret

I had 3 last week all leaking from the sump, in fact I was about to post a message to see if anyone else was experiencing the same on here!

I had 3 last week all leaking from the sump, in fact I was about to post a message to see if anyone else was experiencing the same on here!

i had 2 at the end of last year. corroded right through the sump plate at the front

i've found holes in the bottoms of sumps a few times and the combustion chamber burnt through when the insulation fell due to the lack of the 'coat hanger' ionisation probes.

an aav leak is obvious and should never be mistaken for a heat exchanger leaking

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back