WEATHERBOARD rotted away ! SHOULD I change it ? how ?!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
gentlemen,

the 'weatherboard' has rotted away, and has been blow off one side of the roof.

well, about half of it remains !

anyway, its a 2 storey victorian house, and Im scared of heights !!

NOT ONLY THAT, but my query is;

a) IS the weatherboard important ?

b) WHY does it exist ? is it just to stop wind lifting tiles ?

c) Anyone know how it is secured in place ? just nailed down ?

d) would prefer to fit a PLASTIC one instead - same job as wooden OR more difficult ?

As it stands, Ive been quoted 350 squid, to replace the board.......

thats a VERY EXPENSIVE piece of wood !!!!!!

if its not a big deal, Im tempted to LEAVE IT as it stands,

any ideas ?

recomendations ?

can it be a DIY job ? 1 man ? (me !! )

I dont know how i would access the roof edge, maybe some kind of scissor-lift ? as the side entrance to the house is too narrow for a cherry=picker.

THANKS !!!!

Sponsored Links
boogsy said:
gentlemen,

the 'weatherboard' has rotted away, and has been blow off one side of the roof.

well, about half of it remains !

You are wise to be at least cautious of heights.

NOT ONLY THAT, but my query is;

a) IS the weatherboard important ?

I assume you mean the facia board? If so yes it is otherwise it wouldn't be there

b) WHY does it exist ? is it just to stop wind lifting tiles ?

Stops water being blown in under the tiles

c) Anyone know how it is secured in place ? just nailed down ?

Yes it is nailed down

d) would prefer to fit a PLASTIC one instead - same job as wooden OR more difficult ?

Same principle, but different nails, plastic often doesn't look good on victorian houses. Fine on my 1970's house!

As it stands, Ive been quoted 350 squid, to replace the board.......

Depends on how big it is accessibility etc.

thats a VERY EXPENSIVE piece of wood !!!!!!

if its not a big deal, Im tempted to LEAVE IT as it stands,

not a good idea, especially with winter approaching, could cause a lot more damage.

any ideas ?

recomendations ?

can it be a DIY job ? 1 man ? (me !! )

depends.

I dont know how i would access the roof edge, maybe some kind of scissor-lift ? as the side entrance to the house is too narrow for a cherry=picker.

scaffold?

Good luck, be careful.

THANKS !!!!

I think Eddie M answered your technical bits and you've answered your own one!

I don't mind heights and replaced the fascia board just using a ladder. However, a good alternative would be a scaffold tower. These are much safer to work with at moderate heights. However, if you don't like getting up there you'll have to get somebody else in. Get a couple more quotes as there is bound to be a variation in prices but I think you'll end up paying something in that region.

I dont know how i would access the roof edge, maybe some kind of scissor-lift ?
That will cost you a lot anyway.

thanks guys, great help.

the board that i am referring to, is FLAT on TOP of the exisiting tiles, right at the edge of the roof.

is the FACIA panel, the 'side; part ?

if so, this board simply is secured onto it, but on top of tiles, running from top of roof, all the way down the edge.

can u advice what the correct terms are for these parts ? as Its really hard to describe anything !!!

cheers

Sponsored Links
!. Weatherboard is the correct term in some places.
2. The remaining piece(s) are dangerous and could blow off on to someones head. Both gable roof planes will require the board replacing.
3. It prevents wind uplift of the verge tiles and helps direct water run-off.
4. Gain access to the roof with a tied in ladder and then use a roof ladder.
5. Dark coloured PVC will be fine, say a 3x1, or you will have to paint and maintain timber. Use one length if possible.
6. Usually it's nailed to the edge of the barge board but sometimes it's clipped - depends on the detailing.
7. Check the condition of the barge board.
8. Dont go up on a roof if it's windy or raining.
Perhaps this will help.

Don't know :confused:

This is the bit I don't understand
the board that i am referring to, is FLAT on TOP of the exisiting tiles
A photo would help though......

will get a photo done on SAT , and post it.

actually, where do i attach pics here ?

BOOGSY

Be wary of the man in the van knocking on your door to inform you that there is a problem with your facia/soffet and he can help you out with a cheap cash in the hand job.Gypos tour areas just looking for bits missing off roofs etc.

Looking at the replies, I think he means soffits, but I think the same principles apply.

It's not the soffit, fascia or barge board. What is sometimes called the weatherboard sits flat on the plane of the roof ie. flat on the slate or tile at the gable verge only. If you take a section view thro the barge board the w/board sits at right angles from the top of the b/board.
It's an old detail but effective. Take a look at Edwardian three story semi's and you will often see W/B's at the gable verge, even on the dormer apex verge.

It can't be ON the slate or tiles can it? It must be UNDER them?

Get a grip and send a piccy :LOL:

No Toms right it was a big thing back in victorian times and works well if maintance is kept up on them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back