Ignition Problem - Baxi Solo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Getting the spark but no ignition unless I partially cover the flu on the outside wall with my hand for a few seconds then it fires.

It took gas fitters ages to sort this last year, and all one did was hoover the pipe. Worked fine for about 10 months, and now it looks like it needs another hoover. Can anyone give me a few instructions on how I can do this myself safely to avoid having to pay £50 each time, and if anyone has any ideas why the pipe seems to be getting clogged up like this. I am assuming that there is not enough gas coming through, and reducing the airflow for a second or two allows it to ignite

Cheers

Sponsored Links
To do the job properly the CORGI needs to dismantle the pilot assembly and properly clean it.

Merely hoovering anything is not a proper fix and indicative of a lazy sod. He probably did not even know how to do it. Its actually something that the older BG guys were very good at.

Tony

ill put a bunch of grapes and a well worn copy of razzle that its the fan to flue gasket thats causing this fault... had it many many times. of course it wont hurt to give the pilot a good clean but for once im confident that im right.

Sponsored Links
To do the job properly the CORGI needs to dismantle the pilot assembly and properly clean it.

Merely hoovering anything is not a proper fix and indicative of a lazy s**. He probably did not even know how to do it. Its actually something that the older BG guys were very good at.

Tony

Hear hear Tony. My pin vice is an invaluable tool on these boilers

Dave

Getting the spark but no ignition unless I partially cover the flu on the outside wall with my hand for a few seconds then it fires.

Cheers

this is the key to my diagnosis.. its affecting airflow throught he boiler. covering the flue wouldnt unblock a pilot now would it?

get the fan out and you'll find the gasket that goest between the fan outlet and the flue will be pretty much gone. what ever is left wioll crumble to dust. the new gaskets about a tenner tops.

Thanks for your advice, the CORGI is coming tomorrow, so I'll pass on all of this.

Don't think it's the pilot, it's been replaced and cleaned regularly. Also had the gas valve, spark electrode, H7 lead and more changed. In fact I've had some right idiots have a dabble by the looks of things. It was just strange that the hoover clean fixed it, and the boiler has been working perfectly for almost a year. My main gas pipe is cast iron, and I've been told that rusting and other crap can come through and clog up the works. Will certainly ask him to check the fan to flu gasket though

to be fair, i learnt this fault through trial and error, and a fan. and an air pressure switch. and a pcb. and a pilot. :oops:

stupid manufacturers ff guide :LOL: .

Well, as a layman, it seems that there is either not enough gas coming through or too much air, and the fact that it works for a long period after everything is cleaned out points to the former.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back