Issues with damp, possibly.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small section of wall below a window that is only a single brick construction, no idea why, its original 1930's and has always been this way.

I am renovating the kitchen where this window is and removed the plaster, well, it fell off. I PVA'd the wall and applied an internal render (Plastering sand, Cement, Waterproofer) waited for this to dry and applied multifinish over the top.

It seems to be drying out fine, however I am wondering if the render I used will be enough to stop the water ingress, if not what do you suggest?

I could clad the outside wall as its only a small area (1m Square) but would rather apply some kind of sealer (if such a thing exists)

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Important to consider basics. Inner face needs to be dry and brick is porous, which means that water can get in when its wet outside and can get out when its dry.

Next need to consider how water can reach wall, this can happen in a number of ways: rain, capilliary action from ground or surface water running towards house. If you've got a dpc to prevent capilliary action and the ground slopes away then you only need to worry about rain.

If the wall is relatively sheltered then the wall will probably be fine with just the sand render. Don't assume that the plaster fell off because there was a damp problem, if the plaster was put on in the 1930s then it would naturally have absorbed moisture and gradually lost its adhesion to the brick/blocks anyway.

If you get lots of rain, or driving rain then you'd be better off with an impermeable synthetic render or some form of cladding.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back