damp concrete block workshop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I have just had a concrete block workshop built, and it's getting pretty damp in there.

The guy who built it did warn me that a single skin block wall would let water through. So I'm not really suprised to find the walls are soaked on the inside after the rain we've been having.

Would a good quality exterior paint keep the water out, or will it need something with a bit more substance? (render?)

Is the "water seal" stuff any good?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Sponsored Links
you may find that condensation is an even bigger issue particularly if you use the building frequently and when the outside temperature is very low.

using paint-on products will not amount to much.

you may be right about the condensation, but I can see that water is soaking through the block by the way they look darker around the edges.

It's really annoying as I have got loads of tools in there that are going to end up knackered in no time at all....

Water Seal is ok but you need lots of it and re-coat every year.
Use a good quality masonry paint like weathershield with 15yrs or whatever protection and it will help repel the rain. Did the builder put a damp course in the blocks or membrane in the floor? If not don't bother trying to protect it - it won't help you at all.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back