Vaillant Ecotec Combi and Drayton RTS Thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I found the manual and wiring diagrams online, brother-in-law fitted the boiler (he's a plumber) but is worried about wiring the thermostat in case he pops a fuse...
Seems pretty straight forward to me 2 wires to connection 3&4 only problem being which way round??doesn't seem to tell you in the boiler install manual.
Below is the bumph and attached are the wiring diagrams, any help would be greatly appreciated.

The boiler terminals 3, 4 and 5 are for connecting external
electrical controls such as a time switch and/or room
thermostat. Terminals 3 and 4 are linked together when
the boiler is supplied. If external controls are used, this
link must be removed, and the controls connected
across terminals 3 and 4. Terminal 5 is an additional
neutral connection for external neutrals such as from
the anticipator of a room thermostat.[/img]

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
It doesn't matter you are just creating a simple live circuit which is broken when the stat turns off.
What sort of boiler are you connecting it to, if a combi you should really be using a volt free model which the rst 1 or 2 isn't really designed to be used as.

It is for a combi, I bought a new-build house and have the exact same stat on my combi at home tho??

As you do not need volt free connections, assuming the wiring diagrams you have posted are accurate, you could just wire the call for heat to terminal 4 on the pcb.

This seems to be getting more complex the more replies i get volt free or not volt free, that is the question...? ;)
Will i blow any fuses on the boiler if i get this wrong or will it just not work and i jump 3to4 on the pcb again to sort things out???

Your boiler does NOT need volt free connections for standard external controls.

Either take the switched live from boiler 3 to stat , then back to 4 from stat, or link permanent live in stat to common in stat then just take stat switched live back to 4 on boiler.

I found the manual and wiring diagrams online, brother-in-law fitted the boiler (he's a plumber) but is worried about wiring the thermostat in case he pops a fuse...

id be more worried about the boiler he's fitted if he cant wire a stat.

His company has always used electricians and he's been a plumber 15 years and is more than capable.. think that post was pointless to be honest mate.
He just wants to be careful which is better than the gung-ho wire it any way that i've seen on some posts on here!!!
If ya can't be helpful maybe keep it to yourself eh? after all isn't it the season of goodwill???

I would also be as concerned as Gasvinder ( or more ) if someone who had been working on heating installations for 15 years could not wire up a simple room stat to a new boiler.

"Plumbers" usually do plumbing, thats water supplies, drainage, installation/repairs to water using items like baths, basins, WCs, storage tanks and water supplies.

Boilers by law have to be installed by someone who is gas registered. Otherwise they cannot correctly notify to Building Control or complete the Benchmark Certificate.

Are you sure he is gas registered?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back