Mira Sport Electric Shower Water not shutting off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This might get moved to plumbing..

Have a Mira Sport Shower 10.8 kw, to stop the water flow you press a button on the front that says "stop". This isn't working, so I have to turn the water off at the isolation valve in the loft.

There is power to the shower, DP switch works, shower gets hot, neon standby light visible when "stop" button pressed , no "low flow" light illuminated, supply pressure plenty, it just doesn't want to turn off.

Manual trouble shoot says it could be:
1.Flow Valve (£35 online plumbing)
2.Solenoid (£9.50)
3.Switch Faulty (£8.00)

I'm not sure how to test any of the components individually, so it looks like I'll have to replace one by one. Does anyone have any experience of this problem and is there a part that seems to be at fault more than others?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I do not have any experience of this model, but you can easily test the switch with a multimeter or even some neon screwdrivers will test continuity. I would have thought that you would be able to hear the solenoid energising/de-energising if it was operating, but I am not sure how you would test a flow valve.

thanks jj4091, I think the stop switch is working, when you press it the "Standby" light comes on, but the shower keep running. The shower used to make a clonk :!: when it shuts off, and I guess that would be the solenoid.

I'll try and change that first off before the more expensive bits.

I would expect the solenoid to hold the valve open when the shower is in use, and shut off the water when de-energised, otherwise the shower would come on if the electricity supply was switched off, or during a power cut. Not exactly 'failsafe'

Is there a return spring in the setup that may have failed?

You could try and check the solenoid and valve are free to move. If the valve is bunged up, it may stop the solenoid operating.

Sponsored Links
Firstly turn the electricity to the shower off at the isolator switch - if the water continues to flow then I'd suspect the solenoid valve.

Firstly turn the electricity to the shower off at the isolator switch - if the water continues to flow then I'd suspect the solenoid valve.

I have tried this, and yes the water continues to flow. I ordered a new solenoid on Friday from onlineplumbing supplies and it turned up on Saturday! Haven't got around to fitting it yet - will do it tonight and let you know if it worked.

Thanks

Been a bit delayed with this.. fitted the new solenoid valve - didn't fix the problem, the new valve could have been duff..

Bought a new flow valve assembly (£35), which includes the switch and solenoid :mad: wish i'd known that first...

Fitted the new flow valve, turned on the leccy and water - hey presto it works. :D

So the solenoid was working, but the item that it was supposed to work on had failed?

So the solenoid was working, but the item that it was supposed to work on had failed?

That's the assumption I have made, not knowing how to test the solenoid separately (old or new). The new flow valve has the solenoid valve within it, you don't seem to be able to buy the flow valve without the soleniod & switch.

Not sure what I have learnt from this to advise others of future problems, except maybe when changing a larger component, see what else is included with it. - It might save you money.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back