Light switch question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently removed a light switch to allow for a reskim of the walls and have since lost the diagram of how to reconnect. I have the old switch and so can draw some conclusions of how it was done.

Basically, there are two sets of lights controlled from one two gang, one way switch. There is one three core cable running to the switch, one of which is live.

On the back of the old switch there is a bridge cable from Common of one switch to the 1 way terminal of the the other switch. Therefore it seems the other two cables are to be connected to the unused 1 way terminal and the unused common terminal.

Before going ahead and doing this I just wanted to know if there is a reason for doing it this way? It seems to me that the set up is just sharing a live and therefore the bridge cable should run from Common to Common with both non-live cables running to the 1 way terminals.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Both connection methods would work in the same way though better to take the permanent line conductor into a common and link to the second common terminal.

Both connection methods would work in the same way though better to take the permanent line conductor into a common and link to the second common terminal.

Thanks. I thought so. I think the original switch is wired as described as the second switch is upside down compared to the first so it allowed for a shorter link cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back