Windows changed - Mould appearing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, folks.

Our building is about 35 years old and have only just replaced the original windows which had quite a few gaps in them and blew quite a breeze.

Since getting the new UPVC ones about a month ago, we've had quite a few patches of mould appearing around the frames.

Some of these we've stripped back and treated before painting again, but one patch keeps coming back.

It's on our upper floor where there are no air-bricks, no extraction fans, but where our shower is and where our washing usually dries.

Heh! - typing this out, it seems so obvious. The original windows offered so much ventilation, I suppose this kept things dry.

We've also bought one of those moisture-capture things from B&Q and it fills up within a week.

So - what's the best way to get our upper floor ventilated (if, indeed, this is the problem).

Apologies if I'm ranting on - I do rather when I type.

Many thanks,

Jack.

Sponsored Links
cheapest way, open a window.

we have d/g and in all rooms a small window is left open just about 2 mm

As breezer say open a window and some do have a 2nd position window lock which is handy if you go out or at night etc...

The next cheapest way would be a small air-brick vent on the outside wall with a open/shut sliding vent cover inside.

People have wonderful things in buildings called draughty window frames. What a negative title. Why not call them "distributed ventilation frames"?

If they're single glazed, so much the better. You know where the condensation will occur.....on the glass! But what do people do? They believe the plonk on the adverts who says "BOGOF, THAT'S BUY-ONE-GET-ONE-FREE, I SAID "YOU BUY ONE, YOU GET ONE FREE..........!!!!!!!""

Then they get condensation on the walls. Welllll, wellll, what a surprise!! Did you think the water would just vanish? Now you know,..... it doesn't.

Sponsored Links
Mr_Jack admitted:
.....and where our washing usually dries.
To add to the good advice, if the washing is drying then the water has to go somewhere. Get yourself a tumble-dryer that's vented to outside and you will see a difference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back