barge boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved into a house a few months ago. It had been re-roofed but the previous owners chose not to replace the barge boards. Instead, the slates finish in line with the gable end with a messy job of pointing underneath. The purlins still stick out. I'd like to restore this victorian stone house to its former glory but worried about cost. My question is do I need to re-slate on top of the barge board, or is there something else I could do - lead or something? Thanks....

Sponsored Links
if you read http://www.stoneleafslates.co.uk/text/SlateFixingGuide.pdf you'll see that your slates probably havent been properly installed. Finishing flush with the wall means that quite a lot of water will end up running down the wall.. You may be looking at replacing the entire line of verge slates up the edge. Your post reads like youre considering installing a barge board and then lapping some lead over it and on top of the slates.. All my roof research so far has been related to tiling, so I took a quick look at the price of lead (£30/metre) compared to slates (£1 each), and it seems that such an option of using lead would be massively more expensive?

there are other options lead etc, but i think you would be best fitting new barges and slating over the top with 50mm projection.....either way there wouldnt be that much difference in costs.

Thanks for your replies. Appreciate slating is as cheap as any alternative. Looking at the gable end again, perhaps the slates do overlap the end about 50mm...and not all gable ends have barge boards do they? I do have damp inside the house on one corner but this could be explained by a leaking downpipe, now repaired.

Sponsored Links
Are there bargeboards or not?

Victorian houses tend not to have them, and if the previous owner had "the slates finish in line with the gable end with a messy job of pointing underneath" then this implies that boards were either removed or not there to start with

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back