Biasi Garda HE M96.24SM/B Lack of burner ignition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks looking for some advice on my Biasi Garda M96.24SM/B Combi boiler.The boiler was fitted approx three years ago new by corgi reg'd chap.Has worked perfectly up till now.Had the chap up yesterday who fitted it as it had blowin the 1.6 amp glass fuse on the circuit board he replaced the fuse and cranked the boiler up and all was well again.Then about 4 hours later the fuse blew again when the hot water was turned on.Had worked fine with the heating on but just as the wife went for a shower it popped the fuse.This fuse was then replaced and now it won't even heat the radiators!.The lights are flashing a combination of the 2 outside green ones with the middle one staying permanent red
Any help would be appreciated as to what might be wrong and how expensive it will be?
Regards Dave

Sponsored Links
Its a little difficult to guess at whats wrong as these are very reliable boilers and rarely fail!

The usual cause would be a faulty pump. To diagnose this it would be necessary to power the pump from an external supply.

If your boiler is an early model with two PCBs then it sounds as if the mains fuse on the ignition PCB has failed which would imply a failure of the fan or gas valve. That would be very unusual though.

Its getting a little close to Hogmanay and I dont know how mean gas engineers are in your area at stocking spares but anyone who does not have them in stock will be unlikely to be able to get then for a while now.

If you were in our local area we would charge a fixed price diagnostic fee of £84 plus the cost of the parts needed if it was tomorrow. More expensive on Christmas Eve and Day though.

The local Biasi agent should have all the parts in stock though. If you dont know him, call Biasi on 0121 506 1340.

Tony

you can test for a faulty pump without connecting it to an external supply - just test the voltage at the pump terminals-if there is 240v and the pump isn't working: it's knackered!

Hi folks,
many thanks for the replies our heating engineer failed to turn up on the 23rd so we had to call out another who told us.All he could see was that the fuse had blown so he replaced it and all was well again.Untill yesterday when the boiler would not start up again with the same symptoms.

We decided to call out yet another heating engineer who turned up took the panel off then the metal cover and discovered a black rubber hose was leaking under the condenser.This in turn was leaking on to a sensor underneath on the right hand side looking into the boiler.He thinks this will be the cause as the water has left a trail leading to the sensor.His opinion was that for some reason the rubber pipe was fitted onto a threaded collar coming out of the condenser with a daft clip round the rubber pipe instead of a jubilee clip(HIS WORDS AND OPINION,NOT MINE!) and some how the moisture had been working its way up the threaded collar and working its way down on to the sensor.To cure this he used some sort of non setting silicone looking stuff to seal the thread and reapplied the pipe.He also changed the fuse which had blown.

I just wonder if anyone here has heard of this before and if it sounds likely?.Or should I prepare for more problems? :cry:

Regards Dave

Sponsored Links
The sensors having water poured all over them would not blow the fuse.

Its most unlikely a condensate connection would leak.

The flue seal on top of the recouperator is often misplaced and can leak condensate.

The flue can leak water into the boiler if its sloping back towards the boiler.

None of those things would cause the fuse to blow!

I would still suspect the pump and I would power it seperately to test it. But of course I have not seen your boiler or made any tests!

Tony

Hi again,wolk up this morning to find my boiler was working perfectly.Only problem was the time was 5.45am and the heating comes on at 6.00am and should have switched off at 9.30pm the night before.As my patience are running out with this whole episode I decided rightly or wrongly to have a look at the timer myself.I took the 2 covers off the top of the circuit board (missing 2 screws now that were there when he started!) and found the little 5 pin connecter to the timer/clock had been removed.Would it be fair to say there is no reason why the Engineer should have had to remove this or could he have been preparing another little job for himself? .I feel crap for suggesting this and basically tarring the name of someone but I can't see how this could have been accidental.

Guys would there be any way I can test the pump myself(if I can how do I go about this?) as to be honest it's cost a fortune so far for engineers who are not coming up with any decent answers/solutions.When I said to the guy yesterday could there be a problem with the pump he told me all components were fine ie pump,condenser,fan etc.How can I argue with the guy who is supposed to have the knowledge?Also if there is a problem with the pump why would it work correctly for long intervals?

Thanks again for your replies.

If the timeclock is unplugged then the boiler runs on heating continuously!

Its possible that he removed it accidentally although that seems unlikely. Its quite conceivable that he was setting up a new visit/repair!

Unfortunately the level of skill is rather limited with many people who try to repair boilers!

You have an intermittent fault which blows fuses. That could be the pump or it could be the surge arrestor on the PCB or it could be a damaged wiring harness or a faulty fan or gas valve.

Statistically the pump is the most likely cause hence my suggestion that you power it independently. But if you are unable to do that safely then you will have to call an engineer.

Intermittent faults can be quite difficult to diagnose! However, a competent engineer can often make measurements to identify the problem.

One last effort is to put fuses in series with each major component and see which one is blowing the fuse!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back