Lavender

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got two small (and new - less than year old) lavender bushes in the back garden. One has grown considerably better than the other and I have cut them back throughout the year. Now I notice that the one that has grown better has flattened out its outer branches(?) and there is a brown ring two thirds of the way down them. What is this and is it bad?

Sponsored Links
The one that grew bigger had extra weight on its outer stems which were consequently weighted down to the floor...?

An animal urinated on the plant, causing the ring...?

Or maybe its just caused by rainwater?

Or mould? ... does it seem unhealthy?

lavender is not a long-lived plant. Once it starts getting woody its hard to look afteTry and propagate it from cuttings when it starts to grow nest spring or just accept its demise and buy others.

We do have a dog so its entirely possible that he peed on it. It doesn't look unhealthy just has a ring on it. I suppose it could be down to the weather - not exactly dry is it? Thanks for your help.

i always take the easy way of pruning lavender. straight across with a hedge trimmer. marvellous results the following year every time

Sponsored Links
How much do you take off? I tend to trim when it gets wild, taking about a quarter off the top.

i always take the easy way of pruning lavender. straight across with a hedge trimmer. marvellous results the following year every time

I prune roses the same way, RHS proven to be the best way to do it, none of this poncing about with secateurs.

Lavender prune down to about first two green shoots (i.e. quite a bit harder than you think) but DONT prune out all the green shoots or it'll die. Do it every year or it'll get leggy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back