PVC Window lock problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a couple of problems with my windows that I would like help with, I must say that I have no experience with windows but I'm pretty good at general diy.

1. I have a cracked window that I would like to replace but I'm not sure how I would remove and replace the beading.
2. How do I measure for a new window as I know a place that makes them and when I gave rough calculations it was only going to cost me £30 and for a company to replace the window it was going to cost me £200!!!!!

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll39/28kennedy/Window002.jpg[/IMG
[img]http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll39/28kennedy/Window003.jpg
Window004.jpg

3. Another window I have seems to have a broken lock, it wont open, when I open the handle, it seems like the bolt unlocks on the right side but it is still locked on the left side. When I remove the handle to look at it the locking mechanism inside the window (second picture below) moves about freely (not sure if this is supposed to be like that). So how do I get the window open? I'm not bothered if it doesn't lock again aslong as it opens and closes as its the toilet window!!!!

Window001.jpg

Window005.jpg

These pictures are pictures of the lock on a different window which I assume will be the same

S4300040.jpg

S4300041.jpg

S4300039.jpg

S4300042.jpg

When the handle moves down two bolts come from the end of the frame and also a bolt goes down just underneath the handle

Sponsored Links
1. To remove the existing beading, you need one or two scrapers or similar tools: I find well-worn putty knives work quite well. Start to prise out a bead from one end; insert a second tool if you need to hold the gap open to get some more leverage.

But search this section for more advice (the topic's been covered before). For example, for some types of glazing you need to remove the gasket first. It's a good idea to mark the beading before you remove it, just in case the opposite pieces aren't exactly the same size.

2. You ask how to measure for a new window. If you mean, how do you measure the glazing unit, you, er, use a tape measure or something similar. Measure the thickness too, so that you can order the correct replacement. Note the colour of the spacer (usually silver) to order a matching colour. Also, note the position of the existing packers so that you can put them back in the same places.

If you meant to ask how to measure the whole window, measure from brick to brick in three places horizontally and vertically; take the smallest of each of the two sets of measurements and deduct 10mm clearance to give the size of the window.

3. Difficult to say what the problem is with the stuck window, but it's possible that the opener is slightly distorted. Check to see if the mitres of the opener align with the the mitres of the outside frame; if they don't, you could remove the glazing unit and repack it to make the window open and close properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back