US Porter Cable 7518

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have bought a US Porter Cable 7518 router for installation in a router-table.
I also have a 110v site transformer. I had assumed that I could simply fit a new plug onto the router, plug it into the transformer, and away I go, but now I'm not so sure.....
The router has a two-prong US plug. The manual makes great play of the fact that the plug is polarized and that it should not be removed/replaced with an un-polarized one. If the household has un-polarized sockets, they should be changed to polarized ones.
This makes me wonder if the router has neutral connected to the chassis.
The router is definitely double-insulated.
It has electronic speed control, so no worries about the frequency/speed.
I just don't understand why plug polarity is such a big deal, it makes me think I'm missing something.
Can anyone shed any light, or suggest any tests I can do to determine whether it is safe to operate this from a site transformer?
Would I be better off with a step-dowm auto-former?
Cheers for any help you can give

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo m d and welcome
you will be advised or read on this forum about the the non compatability of british50 hertz and 60hertz american and about the machines running hot and underpowerd [the same assumption as i made 110 is 110 unfortunatly not the same] :cry: ;)

Hi breezer & big-all
First, thanks to both of you for replying.
breezer, do you have some vested interest in stopping people importing tools from the US?
With all due respect, its attitudes like yours which allow 'rip-off Britain' to exist. It was only when people started importing cars that car prices became more equitable between the UK and the rest of the world.
There are many cases where US spec power tools will work perfectly well on UK mains through a transformer. In fact, the vast majority of cases. People on this forum have confirmed that DeWalt equipment will work and will be supported, serviced, spares available etc. I take the point that you may not have a warranty.
Contrary to your information elsewhere on this site, it is possible legally to import tools from the US, pay all relevant duties, and still make a substantial saving. This possibility is forcing some retailers to offer UK spec tools at very big discounts, but the discounts are only big because the UK list price is so high.
In most cases where I have imported, the duty has been what I expected, and has been paid to eg ParcelForce without complications. One thing to watch out for, sometimes HM customs will charge VAT on the carriage costs, rather than just the declared value. So I generally go for the cheapest carriage option, even if it means a 6 week wait for surface mail.
If the router I wanted was available in the UK at a decent price, I would have bought it in the UK. But the router I wanted simply wasn't available in the UK, at any price, so I had to import it.
If the issue is that the tool in question expects a 'hot-live' and a 'cold-live', (ie one leg of the AC supply at earth potential), then surely the answer is to use a step down autoformer rather than a site transformer?
Breezer, I'm sorry to hear that your personal experience of importing tools was not favourable.
I know that there are people in the UK using Porter-Cable routers. There are people offering PC routers for sale 'converted' for use with 110V site transformers.
I just want to know whether the 'conversion' involves anything other than fitting the appropriate plug.
Can anyone tell me?
Thanks again

Sponsored Links
I should make myself crystal clear.

I have never imported any tools into the UK, i have imported various bits and bobs form other countries, including USA.

These bits and bobs have all had to go through customs (or get stopped on their behalf) and i consequently have had to pay VAT & import duty.

My point is that if you order something from say the USA you will get charged "extra * " for it, i did not want some one to buy something from abroad with out knowing all the implications / extra charges they would have to pay. as some one said, the dollar price becomes the £ price, by the time tax etc is paid

With regard to tools from USA you are invalidating the waranty because you are using it on the wrong voltage / frequency but why should i worry, i havent had to explain why it has a usa label to my local UK dealer

* extra being
VAT, import duty, cc conversion rate charges)

the above all though TRUE, is for guidance, what you do with it is up to you.

Hi Breezer
OK, thanks for the heads up about additional costs.
I have imported stuff from the US before, so I'm aware of those costs.
And as I said in my original post, I already have the PC router.
The lack of warranty doesn't worry me, this router isn't even available over here so I don't have any illusions about warranty support.

Hi Kevplumb.
Good point, thanks

Just thought I would tidy up the loose ends on this thread, in case anyone else is in the same position I was.
It was very easy to get the PC7518 working, the speed control electronics work just fine, it doesn't run hot.
I have now completed the router table/cabinet, and the PC is installed in a Jointech Router Lift Pro. (AKA Jessem Mast-R-Lift). Its a great combination, and pretty reasonable at the current USD exchange rate.

max-depth,
Would you care to go thro the process you went thro to buy and import the tool(s)?
Q. How much in dollars was the original purchase?
Q Who did you buy it from?
Q How did you arrange the delivery?
Q What was the final cosr in sterling?

you should consider the exchange rate at the minute is very good in our favour, but that doesnt mean to say the vat man doesnt want his shre, oh yes he will.

Shipping is aranged by the seller, seeing as they want you to buy it.

If you opt for DHL ( i did once) they take care of all taxes etc, and deliver it to your door, but obviously this costs more.

Not all shipping companies will take care of it all for you.

I had one package posted from the states via their version of the "royal mail"

when it got here our royal mail intercepted it, and charged me import and tax on behalf of HM customs

but with exchange rate as it is, its worth looking, bearing in mind you still invaidate any warranty, need apropriate transformer to run any American electric tools

I got everything from Jointech
PC 75182 (just the motor, as I intend it to be permanently installed in a table)
Router Lift Pro
Router Table Top
And other bits
I placed the order online, then Jointech emailed me with some shipping options, including a breakdown of shipping costs.
Price was 280USD for the router motor, shipping was 51USD just for the router motor
Actual exchange rate was 0.55
Sorry, I didn't keep the customs paperwork.......

big-all said:
heeelllooo m d and welcome
you will be advised or read on this forum about the the non compatability of british50 hertz and 60hertz american and about the machines running hot and underpowerd [the same assumption as i made 110 is 110 unfortunatly not the same] :cry: ;)

Does this apply to cordles drills too ? Also does importing cordless drills work out cheaper ?

Just thought I would tidy up the loose ends on this thread, in case anyone else is in the same position I was.
It was very easy to get the PC7518 working, the speed control electronics work just fine, it doesn't run hot.
I have now completed the router table/cabinet, and the PC is installed in a Jointech Router Lift Pro. (AKA Jessem Mast-R-Lift). Its a great combination, and pretty reasonable at the current USD exchange rate.

max_depth, could you please explain details - how did you got the PC7518 working? Just a 110v transformer did the job?

Don't hold your breath waiting for a reply from the OP.
This thread is seven years old now and the OP has not posted on these forums for six years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back