Damp proofing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1904 house, There are a few damp patches around the bottom of the building, i did intend on doing a chemical injection but have been informed because the walls are solid stone the would be no point. They did say you can buy a paste that goes on after the 1st layer of render does anyone know of this if so what is it called.

Sponsored Links
I have a 1904 house, There are a few damp patches around the bottom of the building, i did intend on doing a chemical injection but have been informed because the walls are solid stone the would be no point.

Who informed you there would be no point and why? I'm assuming we're talking about a remedial DPC treatment here and you've been told there's no point because your walls are solid? Or are you talking about a vertical DPM?

a builder said he has done loads of these old stone houses and said the stone wouldnt absorb the chemical injection and therefore i would be wasting my time and money i am talking about a liquid that is injected at various intervals completly round the house.

Sponsored Links
what kind of stone are we talking here...........granite,marble.....any other i know of would be susceptible to injection treatment.

It is interesting that you say there are damp patches, as one might imagine that a building of that age has no dpc and might be damp everywhere.
And that it was designed and built and expected to be damp, keeping dry by a mixture of hight above ground level, local soil, and soil level and the effect of open fires/drafts.
Have you checked that the damp is not due to soil or garden walls/objects touching the outside walls? Or gutters or down pipes? Other leaking pipes?

Rising damp is transmitted through the mortar used to fix the stones in place. It can rise to four feet above ground level - if contained it can go higher. Damp rises through the air holes mixed into the mortar.

With a brick wall, you can confidently drill between the bricks and soak the mortar with cream, in the process distroying the air bubbles that allow the damp to rise.

With a stone wall filled with various sized rubble it is impossible to guarentee that all the mortar over the whole length and width of wall is treated, especially in areas comprising chimneys where you have no idea whats inside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back