How do I take this patio door lock off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Included a photo to explain my problem in more detail.

So its not a phillips or straight head type of screw head, how do i take it off? I need to replace it with a new lock.

Sponsored Links
drill the head off

if you can get some left handed drills (sold for this purpose) the torque and vibration will often undo the screw.

if not, once the head is off, the lock will come off and you can use a mole to grip and turn the shaft.

You need to clean the slot head very carefully to see what type of screw head it is. Clean it out with the needle of a compass or something similar

I was expecting it to be a clutch-head one way screw.

Sponsored Links
Cant drill anything off. Im gussing when it was originally installed it came with those screws and a special key/ellen key? to put them on. I dont have anything original.

I just need to get it off so I can put a new one on.

Note the description "CLUTCH HEAD SECURITY SCREWS
VANDAL RESISTANT - 1 WAY - PERMANENT SECURITY SCREWS"

they are designed so you can't undo them with a screwdriver. This is to prevent burglars or others taking your locks off. Sometimes a slotted driver if you press very hard will grip enough.

Otherwise drill it.

They cant all be one way screws, ive read some descriptions which just says turn anti clock wise to take it out.

When you say drill it, do you mean get a power drill with a thin bit on the end and just drill into the head so it breaks?>

They cant all be one way screws,
yes they can

You want a drill which is about the same size as the shank of the screw, then it will not do any harm if you penetrate into the door frame.

If you use a fine drill it may well break.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back