Apollo Myson 30/50 pilot light cuts out

ary

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Appreciate some advise please, I have an apollo 30/50B boiler and the system works well when the boiler is set on Lo stat, but when changing to hi stat the pilot light cuts out after running for a few hours even when I turn the pump to high.
The only reason we need to run the boiler on hi stat is because although the radiators on the first floor gets very hot but the radiators on the ground floor do not get as hot.
The boiler is on the ground floor . the pump and water cylinder is located on the first floor. Room stat is set to highest 28 and the hot water cylinder is set to highest 90.
Please, Any help and advise is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
For a start get the cylinder stat down to 60. 90 is a scalding waiting to happen.
IF the boiler is tripping out on HI this would suggest HI stat is out of calibration and needs changing.

Pump should always be set to high on this boiler as it is low water content

By the sounds of it son, your system is needing a clean through, don't be conned into a power flush as they are expensive and frankly rarely needed. Call in 3 fully qualified time-served Plumbers and ask for quotes to clean your system. Be very careful as there's a lot of course cowboys out there!!!

As I've no vested interest I will also tell you this; your boiler is very old & needs to be replaced. So perhaps a system clean will help for now, long term you are looking at a new boiler.

Now that these are about 20 years old very few of them will operate on the Hi position because the flow rate is insufficient and the boiler overheats sufficiently to trip the o/h stat.

The system may be rather sludged up and power flushing or chemical treatment may well improve the heat transfer to the point that it could operate on the Hi position.

Changing the Hi stat might also help if its out of calibration but thats easily checked as is the operating temperature of the o/h stat.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Taking a few hours to trip would not indicate poor flow rate or a sludged up system.
Also With an apollo being low water content it would be thumping and banging with a poor flow rate

Thank you all for for your kind replies.
namsag you are absulotly right its got to be the Hi stat because it has been working fine until it was serviced recently by a corgi engineer, few hours later the pilot light went out , It probubly got desturbed during the servicing or just a coincedint that it decided to fail.
further to your advise I have lowered down the cylinder stat from 9 been the highest to 6.
Best wishes for the new year to you all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back