Fitting TRVs to microbore with twin pipes at one end.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to fit TRVs to some of the radiators in my vented system. My system uses the 8mm microbore pipes but both pipes are at one end of the radiator rather than one on each side. The instructions I've seen assume you have the latter type of radiator.

Is there a TRV that can be used with my system without re-routing a pipe to the other side of the radiator?

Thanks in advance.

(In the past, I've replaced the pump and a motorized valve, drained the system, etc. I'm assuming putting TRVs on is within this sort of DIY level!)

Sponsored Links
never seen any!! that do a 2 point entry.

remove the rad valves and the bung on the other side and fit as per instructions.

it will mean extending the 8mm to the other side. easy to do using compression fittings.

Whrrr";p="1091501 said:
Is there a TRV that can be used with my system without re-routing a pipe to the other side of the radiator?

Thanks in advance.

I thought that on this particular system that this valve acted as a TRV anyway? By opening it fully or closing it down halfway did in itself act as a TRV, by fitting another valve (TRV) you would be doing exactly the same wouldn`t you :?:

Thanks in advance.

I thought that on this particular system that this valve acted as a TRV anyway? By opening it fully or closing it down halfway did in itself act as a TRV, by fitting another valve (TRV) you would be doing exactly the same wouldn`t you :?:

Sponsored Links
Do you know what a TRV is?

A twin entry valve consists of a rad valve and a balancing valve in one unit with a pipe running down inside the radiator so that flow runs right through the radiator.

A TRV is a valve with a thermostatic head on it that slowly closes the water flow through the radiator as the room temperature reaches its set point.

Mike

A twin entry valve consists of a rad valve and a balancing valve in one unit with a pipe running down inside the radiator so that flow runs right through the radiator.

Hilarious. It`s basically a lockshield valve with the flow and return pipes passing through it. Nothing to do with ``balancing valve`` which you have just probably made up. ;)

If a lockshield valve isn't there for balancing what else is it for? Look at a twin entry valve, you will see a wheel head and another bit sticking up with a screw cap, under this cap you will find the lockshield or balancing valve.

Mike

there will be a wheel head and and a lock shield. the lock shield is to balance the radiator and also the system .

To simply answer the OP, no there isn't a trv available in this style.

You will have to re-pipe the rad to a standard set up, TRV one end and the lockshield the other.

to simply answer the OP,

No one answers questions as simply as gas4yuk , yoo. sorry no one is as simple at answering questions than gonk4you.... ;) :LOL: Sorry, if your simple then ...... etc.. :LOL:

danfoss used to make twin entry 8mm trv and lockshields. Surprised me as i removed 16 a few weeks ago and converted to conventional with trv one end and trv other. Half of them had the internal pipe corroded through

If a lockshield valve isn't there for balancing what else is it for? Look at a twin entry valve, you will see a wheel head and another bit sticking up with a screw cap, under this cap you will find the lockshield or balancing valve.
There's nothing inherently wrong with referring to a lockshield valve as a 'balancing valve', because everyone knows what that means.

However, the role of the lockshield isn't exclusively balancing - both valves are also for isolating the radiator to facilitate removal and replacement.

Okay I should have said primary use then but as you say it's a common enough term. Mind you I normally call them lockshield valves.

Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back