Low mixer shower pressure - but bath taps high pressure...!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a mixer shower, surface mounted above a bath in a house I just got.

With the flow tap to max, and the temp tap to max, all we get is an ok temperature but really cak pressure.

The strange thing is, the bath taps have great hot and cold pressure.

I'm not sure if there is a thermostat in the mixer shower unit (when someone flushes the toilet or puts a tap on in the kitchen the pressure drops and water gets slightly hotter) - its about the size of a house brick. Don't know the make.

How can I get the pressure up!

Any ideas appreciated. :?:

Sponsored Links
Could be a twisted internal bit on the hose, and it should be a big bore one (10mm or more) if your water is from a tank and not a combi, say. Also the head may be blocked, or have a flow restrictor or filter which can slow things down.
So unscrew the hose at the mixer and see what sort of mess you can make...

SOunds like your mixer isn't thermostatic, though at that size it should be!

Chris

Thanks for your response, appreciated.

Come to think of it, the hose going from the mixer to the shower is a bit mank looking.

I will try replacing it. Tempted just to get a power shower fitted - this thing is doing my head in.

Sponsored Links
Hmm

Got a new hose and it hasn't made any difference.

I discovered that if I lower the height of the shower head, like down to my feet if I'm in the shower, the water gets much hotter.

This (I think) means that the hot water is coming from the tank next door at the same level and the cold water must be coming from the tank upstairs..

But the pressure still doesn't match that coming from the hot bath tap. Is there anyway I can calibrate the mixer to max the hw supply more, and increase cw accordingly? I get the feeling it only using about 50% of the potential hw pressure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back