New Radiator never heats up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Ive had a new radiator fitted in my house in a new extension,

15mm flow returns were taken from the 22mm's from the airing cupboard.

the radiator has never got hot, it only heats up if the bleed valve is open and water gushes out.

plumber has been back and says there nothing that he can do, (what?)

the flow comes from the pipe off the motorised valve for the rads and the return appears to come from a pipe off the cylinder, the return does warm up when rads are on and not a hot tap.

We have a double feed indirect cylinder.

what can I do?

Sponsored Links
make sure that both valves on the new rad are wide open (turned anticlockwise).

After addition of a new rad. the whole system will often need to be balanced again. Although it sounds like your new rad. is the first one after the pump so should get hot.

they are both open, ive even switched all others off and this one still doesnt get warm :cry:

email address removed these can be shown in your profile

further info the pipe that has been taken from is scalding hot before and after the spur. it is the 15mm spur that stays cold unless you open the bleed valve on the radiator

Sponsored Links
is the plumber saying he cant fix the radiator the same one who fitted it :?: :?: if so he has to fix it

also he is not a plumber if he cant fix it

yep, hes the same guy,

im at a total loss as to what to do?

any suggestions???

Trading standards, you paid your money, it dont work, not fit the purpose of blah blah blah.

Could it be that a slip tee has been used on one or both rad feeds blocking supply or return :confused:
You say the supply heats up when you open the bleed valve, but this should not make any difference.The rads source of water is from the 22mm so if this water is hot so should your rad tails and rad :confused:
Tell your plumber you will not be paying him until the rad is working as I know nobody would pay up without checking the job was satisfactory :rolleyes:

did a quick search, what i found isnt it, what is a slip tee?

tee with no pipe stop
so tou can slip it on the pipe then back to make the joint
useful if theres no give in the pipework your breaking into :LOL:

Hi Breezer

Slip tee ( and coupler) both do not have internal stops for the pipe. Normally used when breaking in to an existing pipe run.
I make mine myself by round filing the fitting until it fits along the pipe :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back