Fault with Vaillant turboMAX boiler.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

My Granny is having a problem with the hot water on her Vaillant turboMAX boiler, when you open the hot water tap it won't necessarily take so long for the hot water to come through but the temperature goes from hot to cold and hot to cold..........

The hot water temperature is set near maximum and the flow temperature when delivering hot water is in excess of 70 degrees, the boiler also cycles when delivering hot water, also the pump doesn't sound like the usual hum noise it somehow sounds different.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Classic symptoms of a blocked plate heat exchanger.

Caused by the installer not bothering to power flush the system.

You seem to have a lot of relatives who dont like spending money on their boiler installations!!

Tony

Yes you are damn right!

This boiler was already present when we moved in, it was serviced by the classic cowboy plumber who installed my uncles boiler and he left the outer casing off and said the cupboard that the boiler is in will act as the outer casing and servicing will be easier in future!

My relatives seem to think that I just want them to spend money on unnecessary things for eg.

I told them that the system should have a room thermostat and they said that there was no need to make the system overcomplicated and the boilers flow temperature knob is a good simple control!

Sponsored Links
You know the shiny white outer casing which has Vaillant written on it. He took it off and left the silver inner casing on and said the cupboard will act as the outer casing.

oh dear, the white case is not a seal but does prevent combustable materials such as towels etc in the airing cupboard coing in contact with the hot combustion chamber outer case. Sounds like a classic blocked plate heat exchannger to me, would be worth flushing and fitting a strainer/spirovent/magnaclean on the ch return too.

I think we should call the proper heating engineer who fixed my uncles Biasi, he is a good heating enginner.

On my uncles boiler he descaled the Plate HE and now everything works fine.

The colour of the heating water is a straw colour of the inhibitor.

Would it be ok to operate the boiler wihout its casing? The boiler is in a kitchen unit

DM is correct about the outer case. Whilst no POC can leave the combustion chamber, the boiler is designed to be used with the outer case on, and although in a kitchen cupboard there is no immediate danger, the cupboard itself cannot be used as an outer case as it is made of combustable material and any combustable material should be a minimum of 25mm from any part of the boiler IIRC.

I think we should call the proper heating engineer who fixed my uncles Biasi, he is a good heating enginner.

The last uncle you posted about here had a Vaillant !

You seem to have a very large extended family.

The good engineer was not Dave Hickey was it?

Tony

Ok right!

Vaillant uncle- Dad's sisters husband.
Biasi uncle- Dad's brother.
Vaillant grandma- Dad's mother.
Ideal grandparents- Mum's parents.

Then there are the cousins and the second cousins! Not to mention the nieces and the half brothers etc!

I wounder how far you have to go through your family tree before you find a rare boiler like a Gem or a Geminox or even one of the last remaining Trisaves !

Tony

Rover uncle- Dad's sisters husband.
Focus uncle- Dad's brother.
VW Golf grandma- Dad's mother.
Range Rover grandparents- Mum's parents.
Loads of other makes - neighbours

I,m not a motor mechanic ao don't get involved with their motors. :LOL:

VW Golf grandma- Dad's mother.

Spot on! only the Grandad used to drive the car but he has now passed away.

Then there are the cousins and the second cousins! Not to mention the nieces and the half brothers etc!

I wounder how far you have to go through your family tree before you find a rare boiler like a Gem or a Geminox or even one of the last remaining Trisaves !

Tony

I was at my dads sisters house yesterday at London and they have had a Potterton Puma 80 for 11 years and it has only broke down once!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back