Do I Need To Use Jointing Compound On Compression Olives?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the pub the other evening, I mentioned to 2 'DIY experts' that I needed to replace a gate valve on my heating system.

One of them advised me to smear jointing compound (Boss White) on the olives at either end of the fitting before fitting and tightening the compression nuts. The other expert said compound wasn't needed.

Who's right? What do the professionals do?

P.S. I don't mean this type of Olive!

Sponsored Links
Not required.

I only use Rocol gas paste, then only on larger olives, 28s/35s.

Olives leak when to slack or over tight, or if the tube is flawed/scratched.

If everything were perfect then perhaps the answer is no. But as the olives are, in all probability, produced by an automatic lathe skimming them to the approximate profile at its fastest speed, then I would say use a few turns of ptfe tape, or a jointing compound if you wish, on the joint between the olive and the fitting body. It's extra protection.

Sponsored Links
The manufacturers say you do not need anything. I have fitted thousands off compression fittings. I might get one in 500 that dont work,that would of worked with a bit off paste, So i generaly use it as much as possible. Saves a lot off draining down

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back