Mortar mix with lime and ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just spent the last couple of hours browsing past posts, but can't seem to find the answer to my question.

I'm going to build a wall between house and outbuilding, the house is victorian with lime mortar, i'm wanting it to look similar (have reclaimed bricks) My plan is to use a mortar mix of sand / cement / lime, but i can't find any info as to wether i should use plasticisers or additives in this mix, does the lime affect them ?

Also is there any way of working out amount of sand for a 9 inch wall, exsisting joints look close on 1/2 inch wide (is there any rule of thumb per metre sqare or whatever) Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
The lime is a plasticiser.

Presumably you are adding lime to try and lighten the mortar? However, the sand colour will have greater influence. But in any case, the mortar will mellow after a few years (especially if more lime is used in the mix) so expect to have a bright joints for a while if you are really looking for a match to the existing house

Allow about 1kg of sand per brick

Thanks for the reply woody

I was hoping the lime would help to lighten the mortar and have also been reading that it gives more flexibility etc. I'm not sure if the hand made cheshire reclaims are classed as a soft brick
(its an old cottage and i would like to retain the look as much as possible) just need the frosty weather to go now, -4 here at the minute

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back