Another Viessmann 100 problem

After having complaints that the heat wasn't hot enough
Complaints from who? yourself?? or is this a customer?
Indeed I installed the boiler, but didnt bother at the time with a room stat.
So you installed it? and you installed another one? can't both be yours? are you registered? I can't imagine a qualified RGI having such a lacking in basic knowledge.
So whats the story??

Sponsored Links
Guys Im a landlord and I have partially been involved with the installation. If I am CORGI or registered with Viessmann is irrelevant.

The point is that Viessmann are closed this weekend, hence I wanted to see if any one could help.

If there are any registered Viessmann plumbers on the forums please advise.....if not I will just call them up tomorrow and find out whats going on....

you say the boiler temp varies between 80 and ?max.

what temperature are the rads? have you opened all the valves fully?

if the rads are too hot to hold and the flat is not warm enough, the rads are too small. 600 x 1100 is rather small, especially if it is a single panel rads. That will give in the region of 1kW heat full on.

you say the boiler temp varies between 80 and ?max.

what temperature are the rads? have you opened all the valves fully?

if the rads are too hot to hold and the flat is not warm enough, the rads are too small. 600 x 1100 is rather small, especially if it is a single panel rads. That will give in the region of 1kW heat full on.

Hi JohnD,

Thanks for the reply.

I have no problem with sizing as previously with the same setup the flat was always heated adequately. But all the TRVs are setup to max, and the heaters are getting hot with no airlocks. The problem Im having at the moment is with the boiler getting hot quite quickly and then dropping to 50 deg before firing again.

As I said previously I even purchased the wireless room stat to keep the heat requested but still the boiler is going into these cycles.

Sponsored Links
If I am CORGI or registered with Viessmann is irrelevant.

if you installed the boiler, as you said yourself you did, then you are breaking the law, pure and simple. I wouldn't say thats irrelevant.
I'm happy to give advice to most people, however illegal installers are not those people.

SOLVED

Found out the installed put a strainer filter in the pipe work under the boiler which apparently he was not suppose to. We removed it and worked straight away.

He diagnosed the circulation around the diverter valve and ruled out the pump. Then after looking under the countertop in the kitchen noticed the strainer. He suggest to install a magaclean professional....

I should have noticed it really but I was confused as to why it was fine 2 months ago and only started to occur in the recent days??

The answer.....the build up of what ever clogged the system took a few weeks/months to get to a level whereby in directly effected the boiler. Come the recent sub zero temperatures any slight inefficiencies in your heating system stand out a mile.

But all solved:)

Thanks all.

do you reckon I shoud power flush?

the dirt that blocked the line strainer will now block your heat exchanger(s), this can be expensive. Look at the spirovent dirt seperator or a magnaclean. ;)

do you reckon I shoud power flush?

You dont even have to be Viessmann trained to know that all heating systems should be power flushed to ensure they are clean BEFORE fitting a new boiler.

Anyone with the Energy Certificate also knows that you need an auto bypass and a room stat as well to meet the Building Regulations but I suppose you dont bother much with Building Regs!

As you make illegal installations perhaps you dont have a Landlords Gas Safety Certificate?

Do you live in the Stamford Hill area?

Tony

I am also having a problem with a Viessmann Vitodens 100C Compact. It is 3 years 3 months old and I have the original installer having a look at it - but he seems to be having no success. It was working fine until about 3 months ago.

Basically, it fires up and reaches maybe 45 degrees and then cuts out. It can sometimes gradually reach maybe 75 degrees by upping the temperature a degree at a time, but this takes several hours. In the last few days, it cannot even achieve this. The behaviour is the same whether I have heating, water or both on.

Following Viessmann's initial advice, the thermistors were replaced. Also, the system has been power-flushed, a MagnaClean unit added, all valves on every radiator renewed and a new mid-position valve has been replaced (I have a cylinder with immersion heater). Also, a new pump was tried and that made no difference.

Following further advice from Viessmann, the circuit board was replaced. This made no difference.

Apparently, there is someone else in my town (Bristol) that has exactly the same problem for my installer to solve.

Any ideas?

This evening, I got the F4 error for the first time. After pressing the reset button, it cycles on and off for a few minutes without the burner firing and then stops with F4 again.

There seem to be two possibilities now. I have a grey ignition unit (should be black according to this forum) or the condensate drain is blocked.

I shouldn't really have to be doing this, but the installer and/or Viessmann do not seem to be able to diagnose things. Is this typical?

Any competent installer and anyone at Viessmann will diagnose the F4 fault being a red or grey ignition unit whereas the ( modified ) ones are black as you already know!

It appalls me that there are so many totally incompetent people working in this field and quite a lot of them are CORGI registered!

But then we see above that there are also many cowboy landlords who have no idea of what installing a boiler should involve and using a CORGI installer is the last thing on their mind.

Tony

Any competent installer and anyone at Viessmann will diagnose the F4 fault being a red or grey ignition unit whereas the ( modified ) ones are black as you already know!

The F4 display only appeared yesterday. Unless the boiler has a more than one fault, it seems that the problem that triggers the F4 display is actually present before it shows. Is that correct?

The F4 indication does not unequivocally point to the spark generator.

If the spark gen is breaking down Viessmann will usually fix it under warranty. It does not cause a 45C problem in our experience, but the new unit has better shielding because the old one used to affect the PCB in some strange ways. Because of this it took Viessmann a fair few months to find the problem when it first started knocking ut boilers with F4.

So I would start with this.

If you had a blockage, you would expect the boiler to get to 75C very quickly and then shut down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back