Is a key extractor worth the money?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem with a fragment of a key being stuck in the lock of my door. I have explored my options, and one presented to me was the use of a key extractor.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these, if they are worth the money, and whether i can get them in any hardware store e.g B+Q or whether i am limited to the internet?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I have heard that using a magnet to slightly extract the key and then removing it with tweezers works.

Can anyone comment on such a method (especially the bit with the magnet)?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you can get the door open (ie from the other side) then a decent euro cylinder costs less that a tenner. Don't know about the key extractor or magnet technique, worth trying the magnet technique though if you have one, i'd use some spray oil to lubricate it and i reckon someone tapping on the other side as well at the same time might help. If the key is broken off just inside the lock it wouldn't have to move much before you could get at it with needle nosed pliers - or tweezers i guess. If the cylinder is half turned you'll need to get it back to the normal position before the key will come out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back