rules for window locks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As part of the new regs (yes prezza again) certain rented houses now have to have locks on the ground floor that can be opened without a key. e.g. a thumbturn deadlock for the front door (i.e. key from outside only) and something similar for the windows.

Anyone know if this is still the case as our house used to be a rental property and at some point someone decided to install a window (note 1 window) with a keyloss lock (ie push button). Thing is, most insurers are now starting to insist on key operated locks and I was just wondering whether to get the lock changed.

Sadie.

Sponsored Links
why not ask your insurance company, they insure your house, we don't

As part of the new regs (yes prezza again) certain rented houses now have to have locks on the ground floor that can be opened without a key. e.g. a thumbturn deadlock for the front door (i.e. key from outside only) and something similar for the windows.

Anyone know if this is still the case as our house used to be a rental property and at some point someone decided to install a window (note 1 window) with a keyloss lock (ie push button). Thing is, most insurers are now starting to insist on key operated locks and I was just wondering whether to get the lock changed.

Sadie.
It should be on your insurance policies what is needed. I have changed all my window handles to lockable type otherwise the insurance is invalid!

to meet current building regs and means of escape NOT all windows should have a lock on them,,, insurance companies do not insists all windows should be lockable,,, the button is normally green but not always the case,,, you should have 2 means of escape from anyroom in case of fire,,, ie the door and at least one window,,, buut the window must have a clear opening of 450mm,,, so you would not expect to see a non locking window on your top sash for example..

Sponsored Links
why not ask your insurance company, they insure your house, we don't

Probably because not all insurers will give proper advice, and statutory requirements will override any contractual policy requirements every time

to meet current building regs ... you should have 2 means of escape from anyroom in case of fire,,,
Have you got a reference for this regulation so I can read it?

Part B 2002 of the building regs or BS 5588-1:1990 or later amendments

It's not any room though, but ones as defined in those documents - habitable rooms

woody is right its not any room but i think its one defined as habitable ie bedrooms lounge living etc,,, wet rooms may not apply but i bow to the superior knowledge of woody on this one,,,,, tho i think youve got the jist,,,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back