Cold upstairs radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Have recently moved to a new house.
Have a \\\"normal\\\" gas central heating system - boiler in the kitchen, hot water tank in the bathroom, thermostat, mid -pos valve etc.

Downstairs all the radiators work. Upstairs, none work, except the bathroom rad which gets nice and hot.

We did have a problem with the feed/expansion tank not filling due to a stuck valve. This caused the boiler to shutdown and no hot water at all.

Plumber looked at it and sorted the valve & re-filled the system - hot water and downstairs rads OK, but still no heat upstairs (except bathroom)

Had all valves in the house changed to TRVs and the system filled with Fernox \\\"sludge cleaner\\\". This was about 3 days ago - still no heating upstairs.

Any suggestions? Have tried bleeding all the rads and turning off the hot ones to force through to the cold. Header tank has water in it...

Any help would be much appreciated...

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
try turning off the hot radiators using the lockshield valves rather than the thermostatic valves if not done this already.

kevplumb said:
get the plumber back :LOL:

;)

He suggested leaving the cleaner for a week and then draining and re-filling to see if that did the trick. He also said we could get it power flushed - is that expensive?

Sponsored Links
brumylad said:
try turning off the hot radiators using the lockshield valves rather than the thermostatic valves if not done this already.

Haven't tried that - what difference does it make?

All suggestions are welcome and worth a try before I start ripping up floorboards or shelling out lots of money...

Cheers

Update - I've now found a *mysterious* red valve in the kitchen cupboard containing the boiler. I opened it and, voila, I got heat upstairs!

It's a pity the plumber didn't find it on either of his two visits...

Its a bigger pity you never found it b4 u called the plumber

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back