Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My shower, recently installed 2 months ago, has started in the last 2 weeks or so not responding at all when turned on until temperature is turned all the way to cold. At this point it all fires up, water flows perfectly and you can turn the temperature up as much as you like. Everything works ok at this point but I was wondering if this is normal and if not, what the problem could be? Any help or comments would really be appreciated. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Is it an electric shower or a thermostatically controlled pumped power shower with hot water from the cylinder?

It is a thermostatically controlled pumped power shower with hot water from the cylinder.

I'll bet it's not supposed to work like that, but it sounds like a useful safety feature...

You might find it better to ask this on the Plumbing forum...

Sponsored Links
Thanks Sheds, you're right I suppose, it is a good safety feature. I have tried the plumbing forum as well which as you say would be more appropriate seeing as it isn't an electirc shower, see what they make of it. Cheers.

If it didn't behave this way when first installed it could be a pump problem.

It could also be a faulty sense switch in the pump or crud in the hot pipe. The mixer may only draw hot water at startup (apart from at min setting) and this may not be triggering the pump. The hot sensor may be defective or the flow is too low due to crud in the pump/pipes to trigger the pump. Air locks can also be trouble.

A good test is to turn it on at a mid setting and leave it - does it drip or flow slowly? If you turn it off mid shower (no soap in your eyes first!) does it restart above the min setting? Why not have a play next time you are in the shower??

I did try putting temp at mid setting and got a very low drip before starting up - it does start up eventually but can take upto 5 or more minutes which is a long time if you're in a hurry for work! I'll try restarting it midway through a shower and see what happens. Thanks mate.

I was thinking something a bit more serious than frankie howard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back