Gas cookers- what makes to avoid.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at buying a freestanding gas cooker. Any suggestions on good brands and also anything to avoid. looking to spend approx £450. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
have fitted hundreds but not much ideas on repairing them, but do know you can get a decent looking one for about £250-300 so you will get a beauty for £450, just remember if you live in a "multi occupancy dwelling" cooker must have Flame Supervision device, (im sure for £450 it will have them)

consider a dual-fuel cooker (gas hob and electric fan oven). Best of both worlds and only needs a 13A plug. I have a Zanussi ZM and very pleased with it.

However a gas oven does seem to put a better skin on a rice pudding.

Avoid beko ,indesit, zanussi and any foreign sounding make , Stick to stoves or cannon, new world ,flavel

Sponsored Links
Avoid beko ,indesit, zanussi and any foreign sounding make , Stick to stoves or cannon, new world ,flavel
cannon is made by hotpoint, they are all designed to last about 2 years. any make in your buget will do

With 30 years of fitting and repairing gas cookers,I would definitely agree with Namsag.
The British makes tend to have better instructions(therefore easier to repair)and parts are usually easier to come by.

So is it just cookers where the makes I mentioned are not demonstrably and significantly better than the domestic carp?

Unlike every other type of appliance you care to name?

With 30 years of fitting and repairing gas cookers,I would definitely agree with Namsag.
It wouldn't be in your interest for people to buy things that don't break, would it?

30 years of repairing gas cookers? Ignoring people physically damaging them, a properly made gas cooker would last more than that length of tine and never need repairing...

people physically damaging them, a properly made gas cooker would last more than that length of tine and never need repairing...

What dreamworld do you live in?

I`ve given the OP my opinion,you`ve given yours(which mainly seems to involve tryingto start a flame war)let`s leave it to them to decide.

I don't live in a dreamworld - I live in one where I have a gas cooker which is over 30 years old and has only recently started to develop faults.

And yes - I do know that they don't make them like that any more, but the point is that they used to, so clearly it's perfectly do-able.

As for starting a flame war ( :LOL: ), maybe it is different with cookers for some reason, but for every other type of domestic appliance the makes which consistently top reliability surveys are AEG, Bosch, Miele...

My AEG hob is 15 years old and the only reason I'm changing it is to remodel the kitchen with a range. The Bosch oven was changed at 12years

BAS do a little search and tell me how many purely gas cookers (not ranges) the 4 makers you mention make and if any at all how close to the guys price limit are they

No idea (my old one BTW, is a Canon, which is why I said I know they don't make them like that any more).

And the replacement is going to be a DF range (just deciding whether I can grit my teeth hard enough to buy a Mercury or Falcon, or if it'll be "Oh well, Rangemaster it is then...").

Maybe those makers don't do anything in that price range, but the OP will find that out when he starts his research, and if they do then advice to avoid them because they are foreign would have been inappropriate.

I do agree with JohnD - can't beat gas for the hob, but electric is better for the oven.

No the advice to him is appropriate. And like mcfudd is given from 30 years of fitting and repairing every make out there on thousands of appliances.
Unlike yourself who is saying buy such and such gas cooker because they make good washing machines.
The closest to the guys price is an ALL gas bosch at 1100 quid.
30 year old cannon it will probably be a 144 to 151 model number with a fold down grill
And when i was fitting them people where saying then "they dont make them like they used to.
Took the neighbours parkinson cowan out last year that had been in since 1963 and only because she wanted a change

No the advice to him is appropriate. And like mcfudd is given from 30 years of fitting and repairing every make out there on thousands of appliances.
If parts are easy to come by it's because they are widely needed. And there's only one reason for that.

Unlike yourself who is saying buy such and such gas cooker because they make good washing machines.
No, I'm asking if they don't also make good cookers given their track record with other appliances.

The closest to the guys price is an ALL gas bosch at 1100 quid.
Fine - then it won't be on his shortlist.

If Bosch made one at around half that it should be rejected just because it's foreign, should it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back