Creda Slimline Storage heater settings.......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have creda storage heaters in my property.
They have 2 dials on the top... a input and a output. Each dial goes from 1 to 6.

Can anyone please help me with what to have these 2 dials set on please?

At the moment they are both set on 4. Will a setting of 4 on each cause my electric bill to be more expensive?

At the moment i am in all day as i am unemployed, so need the heat from about 8am when my daughter wakes for school...through to when i go to bed about midnight.

Thank you so much for your help
Mark

Sponsored Links
The input dial determines how much heat is stored by the heater during its overnight (off peak) charge. Generally the colder the weather, the higher the number required. If you find you generally run out of heat towards the end of the day increase the input setting. If you think the heaters are still hot at night you can reduce the setting. You can only really work this out with trial and error as it depends on the room, the weather and how warm you want to be.

The output dial controls how much heat is released into the room by means of a damper inside the heater.

If the output is set high and the input low, you will probably run out of stored heat towards the end of the day.

Regarding running cost, if you have the input higher it will store more heat overnight and hence use more electricity. How much it uses to recharge the following night then depends upon how much heat is left from the day before.

I would suggest setting the input to 4 and the output to 2 or 3 to start with. If you find you are not warm, set the output higher until you find you are warm enough. If you find they run out of heat in the evening, turn the input up slightly for the following nights charge.

When the weather turns milder, you can reduce the input setting as you won't need as much heat to be stored.

BTW when the heater is charging, the damper that releases heat closes automatically, so you don't need to turn the output dial down before you go to bed.

Hi Stem...

Thank you for the info.

I also read that at night its a good idea to turn the output to 1 so as to store as much heat as possible for the next day. Is this right? also if this is true...wont the room be colder in the mornings?

Just added that comment to my last post whilst you replied. The damper will close automatically when charging, but you can close it down if you like, it may conserve some heat between you going to bed and the night charge starting

Sponsored Links
Possibly. But it will be very small. Assuming there is still some heat left, you will be preventing some heat escaping when you go to bed, therefore the night charge might be less depending on what's in the heater when you turn it down. Having said that, if then the room's slightly cooler in the morning and you turn the output up to get warmer you will loose more heat for the following nights top up.

There are no hard and fast rules about where to set the controls to save money. The bottom line is your home looses heat through the walls, windows doors etc., and you have to replace this heat, it's the amount of heat you put back in to keep it at the level you require that costs. The warmer you have the house the bigger the difference between the outside and inside temperature the more heat you will loose.

If you can work it out so that the heaters run out at bedtime the temperature of the room may be a few degrees lower over night so less heat will be lost, but then you might then find it's a bit cool first thing in the morning.

Any extra heat left over from one day is kept for the next day (except some that will still escape from the casing overnight)

Having said that, all of this will not really make that much difference. The best way to save money is run the heating at the lowest temperature you can be comfortable at and insulate and draftproof as much as you can.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back