New Ariston microGENUS HE 32 MFFI Fault Misfiring

B

Ballgirl

Hi All,

I'm after some advice.

On the 20th December I had the above boiler installed by a Corgi registered plumber. A few days later it started misfiring when trying to ignite, upto 4-5 times before it lights.

As I was away for Christmas I notified the plumber on 29th and he said he would ring me Friday 2nd to confirm a time to come see it on 3rd Jan. Anyway no call came so I called him and arranged for him to come on 4th Jan instead.

Plumber failed to turn up and no answer on mobile. On 5th Jan I managed to get him to agree to come today 7th Jan and yet again fails to turn up and phone off.

Where do I go from here? I have a copy of the Home Owner Gas Safety Record and completed Benchmark sheet in manual. Do I just go to Ariston under the warranty? Also file a complaint with Corgi for the plumber?

Sponsored Links
In answer to your last paragraph, both!

Get on to Ariston first though and explain the situation. They should still honor the warranty with the benchmark filled in etc.

Are you sure your installer was properly registered, or just cheap :eek:

The Plumber turned up this evening after I threatened to contact Corgi! He is registered, something I checked from the outset.

He seems to say its nothing to do with installation, its the boiler so he will contact Ariston Technical Support on it and call me tomorrow.

I'll give him a week to redeem himself.

You need to set these up with an FGA when commissioning or they misbehave exactly as yours is.

Its clearly in the manufacturers instructions.

Ask him if he commissioned it properly.

Sponsored Links
Almost certainly he did not commission it with a Flue gas Analyser and he does not own one ( they cost up to £1000 ! ).

If he had one he should have used it today to check the setup of the boiler with that fault.

He should also have measured the gas pressure at the meter and at the boiler using a "U" tube or a digital instrument.

Its possible the boiler's gas supply is undersized. Unless its within 2m of the meter it will need a 28 mm gas supply. Even larger if its more than about 10 m from the meter.

If you tell us the length, pipe size and number of elbows then we can advise if thats likely to be adequate although it has to be measured on site as the rule of thumb calculations can be a long way out in any practical case.

Tony

Almost certainly he did not commission it with a Flue gas Analyser and he does not own one ( they cost up to £1000 ! ).

If he had one he should have used it today to check the setup of the boiler with that fault.

He should also have measured the gas pressure at the meter and at the boiler using a "U" tube or a digital instrument.

Its possible the boiler's gas supply is undersized. Unless its within 2m of the meter it will need a 28 mm gas supply. Even larger if its more than about 10 m from the meter.

If you tell us the length, pipe size and number of elbows then we can advise if thats likely to be adequate although it has to be measured on site as the rule of thumb calculations can be a long way out in any practical case.

Tony

He definately measured the gas pressure at the meter when he installed it. I saw him do it, it looked like a U. The Benchmark states Gas Rate was 3.6m3/hr

The meter is at the front of the house and the boiler is on the back. A distance of about 8 metres with the gas pipes hidden up the wall and ceiling and down again into the kitchen.

I've just had a look at the gas inlet pipe and it goes from quite a wide pipe to a narrow one at the point it enters the boiler. The installation manual states its 3/4 - 15mm. As you said I assume this will restrict the flow?

Tony exaggerated a bit with the gas, as long as its not feeding anything else and has less than 20 bends 22mm over 8m will be fine.

Microgenus 32 is a b band boiler if I'm right, and does not need a flue gas analyser.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back