extension build costs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help with a very rough idea of build costs? I thought I was being generous by allowing about £1,350 per m for a 58m2 double storey side extension (NOT including finishes - kitchen, bathroom etc). Have just received a couple of builders quotes - cheapest one is £128k, gulp. Was I being unrealistic? Have costs shot through the roof since the credit crunch?

Sponsored Links
I don't know, but its winter where there is traditionally little work, plus the economic situation, so I would have thought that its a buyers market.

If that's what all the other quotes are coming in at, then yes that is the price

I thought I was being generous by allowing about £1,350 per m for a 58m2 double storey side extension

Well working on your prices that works out at £156,600

Personally speaking I would reckon on £1000 per sqm plus VAT including basic bathrooms and kitchen so £128,000 without finishes seems to be just about on the money.

if the 58sqm is the total of both floors then yes £128k does seem a bit over the top, but as Woody says market forces in your area will dictate and if the best quote is £128k then thats the way it is.

Yes 58sqm is for both floors. Unless my maths is really really out. We've just had another quote come in a bit lower so I guess we'll keep on persisting... or resign ourselves to our grotty little house! Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
We are based within a National Park which means buildings require a high quality external finish which can put costs up, but we do also do work outside the NP. Obviously build cost depend on standard of spec so the 'budget price' figure we advise clients ranges from £750 to £1250 /sq.m (+vat) so i would think £1350/sq.m should easily cover your work unless its very complicated or to an extremely high spec. My sister-in-law has just had a builder do her a budget costing off the sketch scheme planning drawings for a two storey rear extension totalling 72m2 and he used £850/sq.m. (+vat)

As woody says, work is becoming a little more scarce for builders in our area so we are seeing more competitive tenders at the moment. If you can afford it should be a good time to get a builder in!!

Alternatively, you're posting on a DIY site - do you not fancy doing some of it yourself?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back