wiring a dimmer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the process of fitting a chrome dimmer switch in one of the bedrooms.
I have two wires coming out of the back box, black and red. Am I right in saying that the black wire goes to the common on the dimmer switch (~ with a arrow going through), and the red wire goes to either L1 or L2 on the dimmer switch.
Also, it says that the plate MUST be earthed. However, i only have two wires, neutral and live coming from the back box. Does this mean that i can not use the chrome switch?

Im not so good with electrics, so if ive missed something out let me know.

Sponsored Links
your last statemet is correct.

it means there is no earth which could prove to be fatal.
i suugest you get a periodic inspection report (tells you how good bad what you have is) and in the mean time get a plastic dimmer switch

your last statemet is correct.

it means there is no earth which could prove to be fatal.
i suugest you get a periodic inspection report (tells you how good bad what you have is) and in the mean time get a plastic dimmer switch

What i dont understand is, there is a brass dimmer swithc being used in the living room, and this too has not been earthed. Its been in use for over 20 years.

Its been in use for over 20 years.

just because "its always been like that" does not mean it is right or safe. just lucky

I knew a young girl, (a work mates daughter) she crossed a road "loads of times" she doesn't anymore. A bus ran her over, poor kid she was only 17

you only get killed once

Sponsored Links
Its been in use for over 20 years.

just because "its always been like that" does not mean it is right or safe. just lucky

I knew a young girl, (a work mates daughter) she crossed a road "loads of times" she doesn't anymore. A bus ran her over, poor kid she was only 17

you only get killed once

Don't get me wrong, im not saying it is right. Like i said i know very little about electrics. I only opened up the downstairs dimmer to see how it was wired. Wasnt aware that it had not been eathed till the other day.

Given what you ahve said, it is very important that you turn off the power before unscrewing any of the metal light switch fittings.

A loose connection could make the whole (unearthed) switch live, with bad consequences, for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back