perlin question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
does the roof perlin need to be one length or can it be in a couple of lengths supported down with a 90 deg support? i am looing to do a loft space (not conversion) but the existing perlin is rotton

Sponsored Links
the span of any structural element, whether it is a steel beam a purlin a rafter or a joist will be governed by its size, the supports upon which it rests and its proximity to any other supporting elements.

in other words, a certain sized timber beam that is designed to span no more than eight feet will need a mid-span support should that same sized beam be required to span sixteen feet.

regardless of the above, any connections or joins in the purlin may need supporting.

Sponsored Links
As noseall said provided it is supported adequately it can be made of several pieces, providing you have suitable bearing for the supports necessary to support it.
If you can put in suitable supports you could use two completley seperate elements one immediately above the other providing they are set somewhere close to the position of the existing purlin.

i intend to put a support on every rafter going across straight down to the loft floor joists from will this surfice? or should i replace the damaged perlin and support the perlin the same way?

you intend lending support to the rafters by using the loft ceiling joists! :eek:

the purlin will either need repairing or replacing or the rafters will have to be beefed up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back