Laying porcelain tiles on a "pollute" concrete flo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am going to lay porcelain tiles onto a concrete floor which used to be covered in the old "marley" tiles. I had to remove these old tiles to maintain the floor level with the adjacent kitchen but that has left the floor covered with the residue of the black adhesive used for those marley tiles. This is not sticky but I am concerned that the Unibond porcelain tile adhesive I have bought says not to use on old adhesive.
One of the previous postings indicated that it was OK to lay directly onto old marley tiles or on concrete where vinyl tiles had previously been laid but what I have seems a little different.
The only advice I have had so far is :confused: to use a latex levelling compound first but I am reluctant to do this as this will raise the level.
Can anyone suggest any other treatment that does not involve raising the floor level?

Sponsored Links
You should be fine going straight over the old adhesive. Never used Unibond adhesive though. Try to get hold of a decent BAL/Ardex single part flexi, fix 'solid bed' and butter back of tiles. Lovely!

You will be fine and there's no need to back-butter the tiles.
As recommended, use a decent flexi adhesive - Unibond does not fall into that category.

Thanks guys, I got my money back for the Unibond and after some research I got some Dunlop adhesive (seemed to have the same spec but a lot cheaper than BAL). It seems to have worked fine.

Sponsored Links
Dunlop ,Bal and Ardex all the same company.You should have no problems with the Dunlop.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back