Garage Conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

New to this forum, would be grateful for any advise!

My mother is moving in to my house. I have a 2 bed bungalow with ajoining garage.

I'm thinking of converting the garage to make a bedroom for myself or my fifteen year old son.

I don't need to take away the garage door, just screen off inside, as there is a large window to the side, however, I would like to make a door to the side:

There is a brick outerlayer and breeze block inside the three walls.

So:
Door to the side

Something to block off the garage door from inside

small loo & wash basin ( there is a drain which would only need a pipe putting to just outside)

Floor would need to be made higher, maybe wooden floor

I can dot and dab plaster boards and do basic DIY and not afraid of hard work as money isn't exactly flowing, so any advise as to what realistically I can do with my son to cut cost? Just please some advise on the cheapest options I could go for before I get a quote and blinded by science, around about what price I could expect to pay?

Sorry alot to ask!

Cheers

Sarah

Sponsored Links
you could create an internal 'cell' using 100mm stud partitioning with 100mm celotex or kingspan between with insulated plasterboards across.

.....or if it is a cavity wall construction you may get away with fixing insulated plasterboards straight to the inner walls.

the floor could be 70mm insulation boards with a floated deck. kingspan sell a pre-insulated chipboard floor that can be laid straight onto a concrete floor - no dpm required.

is the roof pitched or flat?

the cheapest we have ever completed a conversion for is £5500 this was an integral garage.

Thanks for your reply!

It's a flat roof with a loft space above which runs through the rst of the house, so I think I'm lucky with that part as not sure I'd have to do anything with it.

The info. you've given is great, thank you!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back