Water pressure on boiler dropping really fast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
Newby DIY semi-incompetent please be gentle :)

I've looked elsewhere here but I can't find an answer to this exact problem. I noticed the pressure on our Wiessmann boiler was at 0.5 bar this afternoon, I refilled it to 1.2 bar, within 20 seconds it was back down to 0.5.

The central heating isn't switched on but it must be a leak somewhere I thought but I couldn't find anything anywhere including coming out of the pipe exiting the house. For it to drop that quickly I would have thought it must be a fairly major leak (if that's what it is!)

2 questions:
a) Is it dangerous to have the prssure at 0.5
b) Could it be anything else other than a leak

cheers !

Sponsored Links
The strange thing is, is why it apparently stops leaking at 0.5 Bar :confused:

If there was a major 'normal' leak, I would expect it to drain to zero each time.

I assume the pressure gauge is not faulty and sticking a 0.5 Bar?

Makes me think that if it's a leak, it may be around five metres above the boiler :?:

This is probably a stupid question but if the central heating isn't switched on could the leak still be coming from a radiator / pipe associated with a radiator.....

Sponsored Links
Pressure still stuck at 0.5 and the hot water pressure out of the taps seems normal (whether that has anything to do with it)

what did I tell you - incompetent !

However, I realised there were some central heaitng pipes in the attic, actually about 7 metres above the boiler and there appears to be a large puddle of water under one of the joints - I think I may have found the problem....now I just need to find a plumber to come and fix it

Anyone live near Limoges in central France ??

PS I'm assuming it's safe to have showers / run dishwashers etc with the pressure that low ??

Makes me think that if it's a leak, it may be around five metres above the boiler :?:

Well done moggett:cool:

Would never have thought of that one :oops:

I'll try to commit this to my ever failing memory :LOL:

Thanks everyone for your help - I have a feeling I shall be back here. If anyone needs PC advice in return.......

I shall assume it is safe to have a shower and the house is not going to blow up.

I would assume the the boiler has a safety cut out for low pressure, probably around 0.3 Bar. So using HW should pose no immediate problem ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back