advice on using window putty

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi can anyone tell the tips on how to use window putty and how to get good corners and a smooth finish :?: . i have bought a putty knife but to be honest i cant seem to get the hang of it :oops: . i have used a lubricant on putty knife when trying to tidy it up but it still look uneven ect :mad: any help would be appreciated :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I prefer to use a flat knife. Practice is the main thing. When you first try it there is a tendency to go too carefully and push too hard with the blade. If you watch a glazier they draw the knife quickly down the pane. Playing around with the putty often makes it worse.

putty all round, rest your hand on the frame or next pane to steady you as you draw along/ down. I used to use a 1¼ inch sharp paint scraper.

Sponsored Links
the guy who showed me how to do it used a "finger trowel" which is a long, narrow trowel. It's designed to be used by bricklayers for repointing. So I did the same and it worked well. Not quite sure how you're meant to use a putty knife.

http://www.manchestertools.co.uk/finger-trowel-10mm-wooden-handle-p-28807.html

You know the basics? - knead the putty in your hand till it's stretchy and workable. (leaving it somewhere warm before hand will help). Stretch it out, stick one end down to the glass/wood then work your way round alternately stretching it along the joint and pushing it back into the joint.

corners - have to improvise a bit, use your fingers to shape it and then smooth it , maybe with your putty knife.

Helps if your putty is fairly new as it does go hard lumpy over time especially if kept in the cold (van/shed), work it for 10 mins or so and if you are slow at applying it it might be best to just do each side as you go.

I find a 30mm paint scraper which i have put a slight bend on works best for me keep it very clean!
Also after handling the putty clean your hands everytime!
Finally using a soft dusting/paint brush go around all the putty - just once dont play to much - be carefull cleaning the glass afterwards then stand back and admire ;)

Oh there is better brands of putty also you are better buying it from a glaziers shop as its normally what they use some of the putty in the sheds is hard to work with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back